Neurology Expert Forum
Numbness in right hand and right foot

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness in right hand and right foot

5 years ago I had severe numbness in my legs and feet that went on for a year.  I was drinking 4 LITERS of diet coke a day and quit cold turkey.  Within 3 weeks the numbness was reduced by 90%.

I attributed the remaining minor numbness to a herniated disk in L4/L5 and just wore socks at all times.

Now, a numbness has returned to just my right foot and now my right hand, but it is strong enough that I can only get relief by covering the skin tightly, such as sitting on my hand, or wrapping a towel around it and holding it firmly to the skin.

My disk problems are too low to affect my hand and I don't have any neck disk problems.  My sister was diagnosed with MS 1 year ago (we are in our 40's), but I have no other MS symptoms.

What could be going on that would suddenly cause just my right extremities to feel numb?
I cannot give you a clinical diagnosis over the internet unfortunately, as this website is purely educational.

One of the most common causes of numbness and tingling is a pinched nerve in the neck but without MRI or EMG evidence of that, it is less likely.

With a family history of MS, a previous episode of neurological dysfunction (although a year is a long time for an MS episode), and a new focal (ie on one side of the body) snesory symptoms, you probably shoul dbe evaluated by MRI and possibly spinal tap to ruleout MS or other cuases. Sensory symptoms alone can occur in MS, if they follow a typical MS attack pattern (ie onset over 1-2 days followed by resolution o ver 2-4 weeks. See your neurologist for a consulation .

Good luck
are you back to diet coke?  or anything with Spelnda?  I am currently trying my own little ideas.  someone told me that their neice had facial numbness from asparatame.  worth a thought...
A related discussion, numbness was started.
A related discussion, numbness right hand right foot was started.