Neurology Community
Numbness in the last 3 fingers of my left hand
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Numbness in the last 3 fingers of my left hand

I have been experiencing numbness in the last 3 fingers of my left hand.  It used to be occassional and it would disappear by mid day, leaving me to believe I slept on my shoulder funny.  Now it has lasted for a week with no relief at all.  It isn't painful, just annoying.  I have type 2 diabetes and keep my sugar relatively constant and within the norm.  I have been getting more headaches than usual as well. I do a lot of typing on the computer.  I do not have insurance so I have not gone to the doctor.  Is this something that will go away?
Tags: irritable
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi, one possibility is cervical compression of nerve, may be spondylosis or disc protrusion (neuropathy). As your work involves typing, long hours of flexed neck leads to this condition. For diagnosis, X ray cervical spine followed by MRI is done. Try sleeping on slim pillow along with physiotherapy.

Other possibilty is ulnar nerve lesion or damage, usually happens at elbow.

"Bending of the elbow causes the nerve to stretch several millimetres. Frequent bending of the elbow in activities such as pulling levers, reaching or lifting causes the nerve to become irritated and inflamed.

When the nerve is stretched over the elbow the nerve can sometimes move or actually snap over the medial epicondyle causing irritation.

Leaning on the elbow, resting it on an elbow  rest during a long distance drive  or running machinery may cause repetitive pressure and irritation on the nerve".

This information is taken from http://www.*****************/neurology/diseases/ulnar_palsy.htm

Treatment involves anti inflammatory drugs, precautions like avoiding resting body on elbows, vitamin B preparations etc.

Blank
Also, look at this website
http://www.emedicine.com/Orthoped/topic574.htm
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity