Neurology Expert Forum
Numbness on cheek, nose, lip, teeth after falling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

One week ago I fell in the bathroom and hit my head/face.  Since that time I have had the right side of my face numb, including right side of nose, right cheek, right side of upper lip, 3 teeth totally numb, and when I squeeze my right eye shut I get a needle like pain in my nose.  My right eye also seems to cry/shed tears, but this has actually gotten better.  I also feel like my nose is running in my right nostril.  I had some blood in mucus from sniffing in then spitting out, but this is now gone.  Based on reading experiences on this forum, these symptoms appear "normal" and will require time to heal.  I can feel hot/cold and feel pricks to my numb sections.  Should I just wait it out or should I see a doctor?  Anything else that I should be doing to help speed up the healing process?  Thanks for any feedback you might have!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

It is difficult to gauge the extent of injury without a formal evaluation but if you are continuing to experience the described symptoms, it would be recommended to see a physician for an examination.  This may be your primary care physician, or perhaps an ENT specialist.  They may want to perform XR imaging to rule out a bone fracture.  If damage to the soft tissues is a concern, an MRI may be considered.  The numbness that you are describing may indicate that there is involvement of the trigeminal nerve which is responsible for sensation in the face.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Thank you for your response!  I am out of the country for two weeks at the moment.  If this has not gotten better by then I will most definitely seek medical help.  I can tell that it is getting better, very slightly, and very slowly.  Again, thank you for your response and for the work you all contribute to this forum.