Neurology Community
Numbness on left side of body caused after a brain shunt operation

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi,   Last August (2007) I had a shunt revision (my 5th shunt since 1978).  The reason for the shunt was that I developed hydrocephalus when I was 30 years old.  The last operation, the shunt had to be replaced and it was placed on the right side of the brain a little higher than before.  I had always felt fine after each operation, other than the temporary short term memory loss and double vision.  I always came back in good form.  The last operation, however, has left my left side of the body with numbness.  When I move my arms, I feel tingly at my finger tips.  Most of the time, my left side feels knotty.  Even my left eye feels sleepy at times.  The numbness has not ceased since the operation.  It doesn't seem to get better. It doesn't hurt, only the numb sensation constantly. My nerve and muscle cells have no damage according to neurological tests.  My neurosurgeon and neurologist say the numbness was caused due to the shunt revision and that it caused some brain damage there.  They say to give it 18 months and see if the brain goes back to normal.  My questions are:  Is there anything I can do to help me with this numb feeling such as exercise, therapy?  Have there been any cases like mine's and how did they turn out?  Why is the numbness seeming to get worse?  Is it possible that this is related to blood circulation?  Could poor blood circulation be a reason for the cause of the numbness, besides the operation?  
  I thank you for any help you can offer.