Neurology Expert Forum
Numbness on left side of tongue

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness on left side of tongue

I have a intense numbness of the left side of my tongue.  I have stomach pain on the lower left side of my somach, and foot arch pain. These all seem to be related - when my feet are throbbing, my tongue and stomach also hurt.  In addition, I have a lot of trouble with my circualtion and it is extremely difficult to excert myself in any way.  When I am on an exercise bike, my heart rate shoots up right away. I can barely do 15 minutes and just last year I was running 5 miles! I have had this for close to a year now and it is not going away on its own. To address my stomach pain my doctor has ordered an MRI, Sonogram, Barium swallow, and cultures.  I have also had extensive blood workup,  including a thyriod test.  When I recently went to see a neurologist, he said that the symptoms were all over my body and did not make sense.  Should I see someone else?  And what sort of tests should I reasonably expect?  Any ideas on what it could be?  Thank you!
Dear Jeannie:

Sorry about your pain.  There are about 100 different diagnosis for non-descript pain with fatigue.  It is almost impossible to give a diagnosis over the internet without the benefit of a physical exam and seeing the lab results.  It does sound like your family doctor is beginning the work up and that will give alot of information on what can be going on and what you don't have.  The neurologist wasn't trying to be non-caring, but in a sense he is correct in that foot, stomach and tongue are in widely various nerve distributions and if systemic disease were causes them, the symptoms are too non-descript to lead on toward a diagnosis.  Wait for more of the lab work to come back.  See how you illness progresses or gets better.  Sometimes, diseases take time to fully express themselves and allow a concrete diagnosis.

Sorry, I can't be more of a help.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD