Numbness when Lying down
I am 40, fem, in shape. I've been having very tense muscles for the past 6 months due to an pulled muscle that just got worse in July. I've been tossing and turning in bed trying to get comfortable for over a year with a hip injury from a fall. So 4 weeks ago when I went to sleep I noticed (of course my neck always hurts when I try and lie down, like muscle tightness, along with lower back tightness. I started waking up with my left hand numb, then arm numb, then left and right hand numb. I thought it was carpal, as I I had a history of it, but then my left arm went numb, esp if I lay on the left side (including shoulder). I wake up in the morning, move around and all the feeling comes back. However the pain between my shoulder blades, like the verterbra just incredibly tight, and crack, like muscles that were just constricted. Anyway, woke up the other day, left side of face, arm, leg numb, called friend who is doctor, didn't think it was a stroke. I went about the day and things got better. I saw a chiro who said it appears I was 'stressed out' and had tremendous muscle tension around neck and lower back. It is sometimes hard for me to turn my head bc of the cracking and tightness in the neck. I was like 'duh'. I also saw an acupucuturst whose family are doctors, said the same thing, severe muscle tension.

Tonight I went to lie down on left side, sure enough I could feel the neck muscles tight, feel the verterbrea trying to get comfortable and of course as soon as I put pressure down, the numbness in face, arm, hand, leg went numb. Turned to other side and noticed the same thing starting on the right side. Again muscle tension in neck is incredible. My shoulders and neck just crack from the time I get up and start moving. I feel the same tension bc I'm at the computer a lot. So they told me to exercise. I went yesterday and got some things to move my arms and shoulders I did the exercise and of course the next night all these symptoms appeared worse. Can a pinched nerve effect both sides of the body? What test should I have done? See a neurologist? Thanks!

Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Though there can be various possibilities in your case, but generally pain/numbness in the arm, shoulder and back portion of the head originates from the neck problems due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine since the nerves that supply these areas start in the upper cervical spine. Mostly, this kind of pain aggravates after turning head or lying down and typically occurs in patients with previous neck injuries that causes disc bulge and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine. In addition, this pain exacerbate with prolonged sitting in a stooped posture and when working on a computers for long hours.  If you suffer continuous pain, numbness at these areas, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

Take Care & Regards!!!