Neurology Community
Numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness

Hello..

I have numbness that I encounter manly in my right hand.. at night.. sometimes it happens in my left.. but 99% of the time it is at night.... During the day I sometimes experince numbness in my right foot....

Lymes disease and thyroid tests were negative.. here is my xray results

So...

I have been having episodes of my hands going numb.. especially at night.. more so my right hand.. now during the day ever so often.. my foot will go numb.. my dr ordered an xray and this is the report:::

Lumbar spine: Minimal dextrocurvature of the lumbar spine at L1 with loss
of the normal lordosis on lateral view, the latter of which raises the
possibility of flat back syndrome. Otherwise normal exam of the lumbar
spine.
SI joints appear slightly indistinct, right greater than left, which can
be seen with spondyloarthropathy. Consider Ferguson's view if clinically
indicated.
Cervical spine: Loss of cervical lordosis, likely positional. Minimal
uncovertebral hypertrophy at C6-7, right greater than left, with
otherwise no significant degenerative changes.

Any thoughts?

This discussion is related to Hip pain that goes down leg.
Yes. Your leg pain is due to sciatica. Compression of the sciatic nerve in the lumbar region. Your symptoms are out of a textbook. The numbness in the hands is due to compression of a nerve in the cervical area. You need an MRI of the cervical area and the lumbar area. X-rays are inadequate. The drill is anti-inflammatories (Motrin/Ibuprufin) and axial traction for the cervical problem. And exercise drills taught by a specialist for the lumbar compression. These people are very good at what they do and the cost, even if not reimbursed, will be well worth it.  In the United States, they usually like to have an MRI.  These are likely degenerative changes and are unlikely to go away. Avoid lifting and if you have to lift properly. Sleep with a pillow between your legs. Get an axial traction device and use it for five to ten minutes at a time for ten or twelve sessions a day, separated by an hour at first. Do not take muscle relaxants or use a cervical collar. You need exercises to both develop muscle tone to pull your head upward and range-of motion exercises through the limits of pain for the head. Keep well-hydrated and avoid nightshades (eggplant, potato skins, tomato skins, etc.). A very short period of prednisone is often prescribed, but is contraindicated for long-term use. It will make the problem worse and have other undesireable side effects. These symptoms tend to be episodic and self-limiting. As far as the leg pain, surgery called a laminectomy is the last stop. Avoid this if at all possible.
HI.. Thanks for the comment....

I cannot take any NSAIDS due to Stage III Kidney failure..