Neurology Expert Forum
Numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numbness

Seven and half years ago I had a benign tumor removed off my menigies.  At the time of the surgery they had to lift up my motor flap to get at it.  To this day I have a bit of numbness in my right foot along the left side and my big toe has not much muscle control.  The problem I have right now, is since last August I have reoccuring numbness in my top lip , only on the left side and it happens usually first thing in the morning...usually ten minutes upon waking up or even as I brush my teeth.  I am taking only two capsules of depakane a day (valproic acid).  Was told last August I could go to one, but after experiencing the numbness I went back to two a day.  The problem still exists.  I would appreciate your input on this.
Thank you for your question. In understand your concerns, and considering your history of meningeal tumor, I would encourage you to see a neurologist. Any new symptom occuring several years after removal of a brain tumor raises the question of recurrent tumor, although this remains a pure hypothesis at this point, because the symptom that you are reporting is mild and intermittent. Epilepsy could also cause this intermittent numbness, and in this case it may be necessary to adjust your antiepileptic treatment. For your peace of mind, it would be useful, I think, to be examined by a neurologist, who may order further tests, such as an MRI, if necessary. I hope this helps, and I wish you good luck.