Occasional white light flash in my peripheral vision
I am seeing an intermittant flash of white light in my left peripheral vision that looks like a moving circle or C.  I can see it with my eye open or closed and it seems to be worse at times.  Sometimes I don't notice it, but if I am in a dark ambient environment, I can sometimes see it flash every few seconds.  Sometimes I don't notice it at all.  I am 47 y.o. and it just started a few months ago.  Any ideas?
this is amazing, thought I would take a chance and google this symptom, an occasional flashing light up the peripheral left side, sometimes the right as well, intermittently for about two years now, thanks for sharing...not the only one, I also get a type of migraine that causes a zig zag flash that starts in the centre of vision and progressively the ring fills the eye sight lasting for about 10 to 15 minutes.  
I have been experiencing exactly the same thing. White ball of light moves from bottom left corner of my left eye to top corner.its been happening for a cpl weeks now.I'm concerned these recent posts don't correctly explain the cause seeing how am only 23 years old and have never had eye problems.I am worried though that my past drug and alcohol abuse and current extreme stress may be directly connected.I do not have insurance so visiting a Dr for  a minor occurance is out of the question but if anybody has some insight on my situation please reply asap.thanks again
Saw my Eye doctor, and she looked closely at my eye and retina.  All good.  The virteous is what is giving me the illusion of flashes mostly in myl efty eye, although  do get them in my right eye at times.   I also have the beginning of cateracts, but thats all.  There is nothing they can do for the flashes, so I guess I will have to live with them. Seems so strange that they cannot give you drops to help with the flashes.  I wonder if all of folks who get them,  have found a solution.aspirin, advil
Thank goodness the Affordable Care act will kick in soon. I am without ins. too. Sounds like you need to get that checked out.
Hello - I have exactly the same symptoms and, after seeing an opthomologist and having a thorough exam (including fluorescent dye imaging of the retina), everything seems fine. I have "ocular migraine" and that is what is suspected. No headaches, though.
Let me start by saying I had to read each and every comment posted to not feel totally started and threatened by this monthly occurances if flashing white lights in both my right and left eye. It first happens with a small headache then with a matter of minutes becomes full blown white lights that lasts to thirty minutes.,and from reading the posts I am only 27 years old and believe it probably has to do with a trauma incident.
A car hit me at 50 miles an hour on the turn pik of a main highway., and minutes previous to that my family and myself two years ago and just had an accident only called 911 to report or accidents. So as myself was getting out of the highway a man in a BMW what I will never forget, thought it oka to ignore the crashed cars an proceed to the right only to hit me from behind along with my family members.
My mother , my. Little sister an my brother and then boyfriend who was holding my nephew.
This is the only hung I can try explaining to myself to explain these white lights.
We're all oka. , and I hav a beautiful baby girl who is about to turn 2 of age.
they are migraines, or linked to migraine auras...I have been diagnosed with auras and this is another symptom...this could happen to you if you eat certain foods, stress, lack of sleep etc...after it happens think of what you have done recently that could have caused it. Keep a journal to track any possible causes...hope this helps.
did you ever find out what it was i have the same thing
did you ever find out what it was. I have the same thing
This evening (2014-Jan-20), for the life of me, I couldn't figure where these unusual & increasingly irritating flashes of light we're coming from in my perripheral vision.
It was driving me nuts looking for the source of these bright phantom reflections.
I'm 53 and do not have problems with migraines or high blood pressure. My pupils were dilated this past summer & everything was fine.
Thankfully I deduced after only a few hours of "suffering" that my problem was yet another side effect of generic Zanaflex.
This perscription dries out my eyeballs as well as the skin around my eyes. Though I faithfully use Vaseline multiple times per day, I unfortunately had slacked off using my eye drops.
Right now I use Systane eye lubricant with NO preservatives. It comes in little "vials" that have about 8 drops each -- prevents contamination & makes them portable.
So far it thankfully solved my problem.
Will keep you posted if it starts up again.
I'm 60 and enjoy good health and just started seeing lightening bolt flashes in my right peripheral vision. I had just started riding my mountain bike again after being off it for about 4 months due to a shoulder injury. I have also had some degeneration in my neck (C2 and C3) ironically from cycling a lot for the last 28 years, holding my neck up while leaning over the bike. So I'm  wondering about my neck pinching a nerve. I was also wondering about the cell phone idea, because my old phone gets hot on my right ear which bothers me if I am on the phone for a while.
cycle fun
Greeting; I'm replying as a fellow biker.
Myself - near 60; bike-tech, Mtb-instructor and former NORBA competitor.
1st; who diag. the C-V degeneration, your Primary Care, GP (General Practitioner), a referred Orthopedic Doctor, Neurologist or are we talking Chiropractor here?
2nd; have you ever been in a car cash (particularly rear-ended), been hit on the head or fallen off the bike that involved the head or upper-body (do you wear a helmet)?
3rd; have you been treated by a Chiropractor before for neck issues and was treatment by hand pressure/muscle tension or of a tool-punch/machine force type?

I been experiencing a brief, small white flash (too fast to identify any shape) in the lower outer corner of the right eye (interesting that most all here post left or both eyes). I feel a constant muscular discomfort/tension (sometimes very dull faint throb) in the right side of face, from back of the neck (semispinalis capitis & occipital bone) to cheek-bone and up to above the temple. This was present before the flashes began. My BP has always been spot-on normal, recently had a full eye exam and advanced testing (normal) as I now needed bifocals.

Note: for the first time (as I’m writing this, figuring it out) I found that if I finger-massage along the ‘superior nuchal line’, half the tension felt to my face is relieved (now that’s telling something). So, I think I have a theory.

Notice and Disclaimer: Each persons anatomy, physical/health history and problematic condition are uniquely different and questions/examination should always be referred to your Primary Care / medical professional.
Hi Donna, I have been experiencing these flashing lights and noticed that you said the eye drops worked eliminate them. Did it happen straight away or did you need to take it for weeks before you know it works? Thanks, Brenda
No, the lights did not go away immediately after using drops but they did eventually go away and have not returned.
In addition to those eye drops in vials (which I use once or twice a day everyday), I also "lubricate" my eyes with Vaseline once or twice per day also.
HOWEVER, I bought a small container, put a label on it "eyes only" and only apply on each eye using a clean tissue. (To prevent contaminating Vaseline, I never put my finger in it, nor reuse same area of tissue.)
I never figured out if lights were caused from excessive dry eyes, or something else.
I still have very dry eyes, and area around my eyes has gotten super sensitive, itchy, somewhat "crusty," and would sometimes slightly tear resembling a painful paper cut. (Again, not sure if any of this is related to dry eyes which was related to lights.)
Went to dermatologist on May 16, and though I got some creams and found out I had a D3 deficiency, I am unable to pursue serious treatment for my skin nor see an ophthalmologist (which was my next plan of action) because...
on May 17, 5.5 hrs before my son graduated from high school, I broke my back in two places. (Unfortunately it was totally my fault by leaning on an inversion board for just a moment without my feet inserted properly while at a friend's house for a very short visit. Amazing how one stupid thing can change your entire life in a very short amount of time.)
Therefore, I am going to pursue an eye specialist after my spinal fusion heals (hopefully surgery will be scheduled by mid-July), and then will provide eye update.
Still, I am very curious as to finding a definite, logical explanation of what causes those flashing lights because I know it was quite scary for me, and I am sometimes concerned that they may come back.
FYI - Replenishing D3 and using prescription creams for a month has produced no improvement with my dry eyes or dry skin (around my eyes).
Furthermore, any correlation between medicine and dry eyes seems ungrounded.
Even when not taking medicine that I knew dried my eyes, when I didn't take it for an extended period of time, my dry eyes might have improved slightly, but not significantly enough to establish (unprofessionally, of course) any direct relationship between the two.
Just started with the flashes of white light about a month ago and I couldn't make heads or tails of them. Thanks for the ALL the comments, really helped a lot.  
July 20th I noticed floaters that look like gnats in my right eye...when I looked at my computer screen. Over the last few weeks floaters increased in number and where especially annoying when outside in bright light.. Then about 2 weeks ago I started noticing a flash in my peripheral vision...kind of like an arc. This occurs when I move my head quickly.This all occurs in bright light or against a white background. So, last Thursday I saw my optometrist who dilated my eyes and looked for a retinal tear. She said all looked normal. I am 59 years old and she said age makes the vitreous pull away from the retina and is common cause of floaters and flashes. This is driving me nuts. I do not see the flashing at nite...only in light. She thinks the flashing is really a floater in the periphery that I am just seeing the tail of. How do people live with this. It is stressful and annoying. Thinking of seeing an ophthalmologist tomorrow for another opinion. The floaters I can live with, but the weird flash like thing when I move my head or look sideways is more than a little disturbing. My only health issues at this point are low B12 which I am treated for and Hashimoto's thyroid. Any suggestions? Does anyone else see the flashes only when they move their head?
I have had ocular migraines, but I also experience the white flashes. For me, they are 2 different events. The ocular migraine in my case, can be seen whether my eyes are open or closed. and tends to looks like a spinning movement, and not necessarily in the peripheral. The white flashes, are at the FAR peripheral, to a point where I actually turn my head, thinking there is something there. No headache with either. I haven't seen a dr about the white flashes, as they just recently started, maybe a month ago. Ocular migraines, in my case, always occurred if I forgot to take my birth control pill, and doubled up on it. I no longer take the birth control, and have not had one since.
more than 10 years ago I was dx with retinal migraines....round fluorescent lights either in one or both eyes...last about 15 minutes and then go away.  recently I've noticed a flash of white light in my left upper periphery.  so afraid of strokes I'm thinking I'll be going to check with doctor soon.  
Thank you for posting. I am 60 and had these flashes and floaters for 2 months. Eye exam with tests and dilating  had costed me $400 but the doctor did not identify the cause, although said that the retina was intact. I was ready to go to another ophthalmologist, but will skip for now after reading your post. I have another symptom that started recently, like sticky eye lids. It is on the same eye that has flashes and floaters. Just wonder if anybody has that also.
I'm 55 and I have the same symptoms many of you describe, except for me it starts when I move my eye to the left or right. In a darkened room it's very noticeable. a very 'thin' bright arc on the outer edge of the vidion in my left eye. My theory is movement puts more pressure on the muscles or outer edge of the eye and causes what I describe as an 'orbiting electron' effect.  I can also 'simulate it by pressing on my eye in certain places (not advised). Some times I see a half circle in my left eye far left vision field, other times it's a full circle on far edge of my left eye.

Saw an Optometrist and retina was good with a laser scan and photos, though she diagnosed me with a possible retinal edema (swelling) of underlying layer of retina. Why is it swollen? she said stress can cause it. She also said she had rarely seen people with this and they were mostly 'men'.  

But I also have a another theory now after reading all your posts. Possible food related? (I drink diet Dr. Pepper alot). or 2) Nerve issue in neck.  3) Pimple on inside of eyelid that hurts possibly causing eye pressure when moving eye.

I too hurt my neck a year ago in C4/C5 area while bike riding. Disc slowly healed with VAX-D and chiropractic care but recently went in to see her again for lower back issue. She did adjust my neck with those dropping 'adjuster' table for neck area...hmm?  Using 'eye wash' like the kind used for contact lense users seem to help me get through the day at the moment.  I've only had this three days now.  Will post an update later to let you know how I'm doing if it helps anyone else.
Update: Here's an update I promised. Symptoms that started last Monday have now subsided by today (Saturday). During this time I worked at my computer as a software developer, used eye wash - the kind used for contact lense wearers by Baurch+Lomb (Advanced eye relief eye wash). I also stopped drinking diet colas if that was doing anything. Not sure if I had an eye injury, or as the optometrist suggested a retinal edma (swelling)..
Thank you all for posting! I have finally found a place where there are so many people with symptoms I have had for 4 years. My doctor had no idea what my lights were. He said they were an "anomaly". I feel scared enough without him saying that.
I have the same lights in both eyes that go up and down in a half circle on the outside edges. I had my retinas checked in both eyes to make sure I didn't have a tear or detachment. I am 60 years old with a broken back, hep. C from a transfusion from surgeries on my back and a migraine sufferer for 20 years.
What I do for my lights is I close my eyes tightly for 10 or 15 seconds a few times and it seems to make the lights go away for a while when they are annoying me.
Since my back is so messed up from breaking it and having to have fusion on 5 vertebrae in the "T" section I am going to try chiropractic on the "C" section up near my neck to see if that helps. Plus, drink a lot more water for hydrating my eyes.
Noticed some white flashes about 2 weeks ago in my peripheral, followed by an onset of floaters.  Went to the ophthalmologist, who after examining quickly sent me to the vitreous surgeon for what he saw as a retina tear.  The surgeon performed a laser burn on the spot.  I am still seeing roughly the same floaters and occasional white flash afterward, which he said will persist for a while.  Will go back in a week for followup.
This has been posted a long time a go, i hope the right people will get my comment. I started having this also. Very bright light and sometimes shadows.
I found this thread here and just after i found this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/202005-what-causes-flashes-in-the-outer-corner-of-the-eye/
which sounds a bit scary but also calmly confronting and logical.

***@****
Occasional white light flash in my peripheral vision, I am seeing this to my left eye only..any of you going thru something spiritual changes or doing meditation whrn it started. I might think this is the reason as am meditating a lot in which usually eyeballs have imp roll..
My condition is similar to many of those described here. I began seeing light orbs about 2 years ago. It started with me seeing what looked like a tiny, blue laser pointer sized point of light that moved slowly down the wall (I was in a dark room at the time). I closed my eyes and it looked like several flashlight beams moving around, like I was seeing light through my eyelids. Then the light became for stationary but spinning orbs of light with a dark spot in each of their centers, kind of like the way a ceiling light cover has. They stayed stayed stationary just above my central vision for about 4 days. At this time  to see an extremelythe lights appeared to be in both eyes. The four lights began migrating upward out of my vision until they were gone. Before that happened however, I began to see an extremely bright light in my left peripheral vision, so bright that I thought I could see my shadow on the wall. The lights went away but were back in a couple of weeks but seemed to be only in my right eye. Now, if I barely look down, I see 3 - 4 white orbs, some on the side periphery and some in the top periphery. I have seen more than one eye doctor and both found nothing different in my retinas, according to my history.
This is the interesting part. I have had no vision in my right eye since 1992 due to diabetic retinopathy. The vitreous was replaced by silicone oil to try to keep they newly reattached retina. Once the oil was removed, a saline based viscous liquid was introduced. The retina detached again in a couple of months, so no vision in that eye. The left eye has had so much laser that I have very little peripheral vision left and have a very small field of vision.
Do you think this could be neurological? Any help is appreciated.
Please excuse the craziness. Not sure what happened with the text in the post. It looks like it put random parts of sentences in different places. Hope you can understand it.
Hi Vikas,
I have recently started meditation after an year long gap. I now try to focus my eyes above the center of forehead, the third eye region. I have also been experiencing tiny bright white light spots that appear for a split second, almost always in my upper peripheral region. It is only noticed in the dark. I am also wondering if meditation could be the cause or are we starting to open the third eye, yippee :)
I am severely nearsighted. I just made 38 yrs old. I have been seeing the white orbs of light since I can remember. I have worn corrective lens since 1st grade. In my mid thirties severe headaches and nausea were accompanied by the orbs. I'm wondering how to handle this first. should I see a medical dr first or the eye dr first? Money is tight since I lost health insurance thru work after Obama care hit. I do understand that we cannot put a price tag on our eye sight.
I'm 57 and have had "regular" migraines since I was 19. After my son was born, I quit having the visual auras. I had never heard of ocular Migraines but I'm very relieved after reading many of these posts! Last night I experienced the c-shaped lights in the peripheral vision of both eyes. My neck was stiff from yard work so I was rolling my  head around to stretch it. Each time it started to pull, the lights appeared. The lights are gone today but I have taken my regular medication for migraine attacks. (Relpax) I will definitely mention this to my neurologist & the eye dr. next time I see each one but I don't think I need to panic.
Also a comment to the younger writers, my son started getting migraines when he was 10 years old.  He's 27 and still gets them but not as frequently.  His are especially brought on by stress.
I just turned 45 on the 2nd of June, & saw for the first time, this strange like spinning tiny orb of light out of my left eye in my peripheral, it's always dropping quickly, & just for a second, yellowish bright white.  The first time I ever saw it, freaked me out, I got so anxious it made me cry & think I had a tumor or maybe a stroke or something.  I haven't been feeling myself for the past week, I am thinking that I might be or starting early menopause.  I still have to see the doc, but thank goodness I looked it up, you guys have calmed me down quite a bit.  I know we all have to die sometime, but I am terrified of leaving my kids, have four, of which the two youngest are still at home (8 & 14).  I lost my mother when I was 25 & still needed her so much then & now.  I have been wearing glasses since I was 9 and have seen floaters as far as I can remember, & have astigmatisim.  I do have migraines, & have experience the auras, I looked them up on Youtube, & I found videos of what I exactly see, the arc starts small like a c, then gets larger & flickers like a prism until it dissapears, soon followed sometimes by a headache.  I can't believe we still know so little about our human bodies & that some docs don't even know what we are talking about!!  Hope to have an answer soon!  Thanks guys for posting & calming my nerves!
Well, I was in a fight and my ex threw keys and hit me in th eeye, my eye was blood shot for a week, cuz of gud meds, and i always see a  light now in my right eye, an dit does seem like a C, and sumtimes i think someone is beside me or i see a shadw, it scared me and sumtimes gets me upset, cuz it remidns me of what he did, All i want to know, is that will it go away, or will it become worse
Did your flashes ever subside?
I am 63 and, several days ago, unexpectedly, was exposed to extremely bright, noon time, reflected sunlight.

Several hours later a spider web strand type floater appeared in my left eye at the far edge.

Last night, I experimented by quickly turning my head back and forth. To my displeasure I saw a "lightening bolt" type bright line in the same general area where the floater is. So far, this bright streak is only visible when I induce it by quickly turning my head.

Wondering what I should do.
Thanks to everyone for your input.  I was worried to cause the lights like fireworks started last week after some garage work when I was walking up the stairs.  At first I thought "wow that's cool" and passed it off as exertion.  Then the C shaped white light started showing up in my peripheral vision of my right eye. It seems to be more frequent at night....or maybe just more noticeable then.  I am glad I found this website and thankful to hear that I am not alone and it doesn't sound like anything too serious.   I am 56 and in good health.  I did suffer from childhood migraines but thankfully out grew them.  I had wavy vision toward the bottom of both eyes when I was in my 20's and the said that was ocular migraines but that went away too. Hopefully this will too...thanks again!
I'm 18, and I experience these white flashes typically outside or before I go to bed. They've been happening more and more frequently yet I failed to inform my optometrist on my annual visit last week. Should this be something of concern at my age? Should I follow up and schedule another appointment or wait it out untill it gets worse?
I hope u were able to figure out what was/is going on with ur vision
I have been suffering with this issues for about 6 yrs off and on now. I was diagnosed with Glaucoma, primary angle I believe. Just went in for  a recent field of vision test... Results showed I didnt lose any peripheral vision but, I STILL see the balls of lights. It was in the right eye mainly but, now I notice I see it in the Left. Mentioned it to eye dr & she told me when I come back, if I still have issues, they will look into retinal tear.  Its so scary. I mean, it comes & goes so quickly BUT, I always think, What if it flashes & I stay that way??? I ADORE my gift of sight & just the VERY thought of losing it, would HONESTLY , be more than I could bear :(
Am so glad I found this site!  I've been suffering in silence for several years now.  Every once in a while I'd get the strange flash thingie in one of my eyes, this past time (last night) in my right.  Was again reassured to read that some of you say this weirdness (and slight headache for me, although I never get headaches) lasts around 20 minutes.

I don't know if any of you are open to or have heard about "Ascension Symptoms," but it's apparently quite common for many of us lately.

http://www.ascensionsymptoms.com/ascension-vision-changes.html  
I'm 75. Last night while walking my dog I had theses flashes of white light from the corner of my left eye. It moved around and up and down. I first thought a lightning bug was following me but by the time I got back home I realized it was too early in the year for that.  All day today it was occasional but tonight it's driving me crazy. What ever it is I'll be glad when it,blows away.
For the past few days I've been noticing these two squiggly lines on the right part of my left eye.  Only happens if I move my eye left and right.  

Before then I had some after shadow on the bottom right of the same eye and aura lines in that area when I goto sleep.

These all came since I've started doing neck stretches and have gotten pulled my a traction machine at physio.  I really hope it is just related to the neck.

Some back ground info about me, I've been having headaches, photophobia, and strange vision since July 2015 and its progressively changing and getting worse.  Lately I also have eye pain
i have had occular migraines and regular migraines for years. seeing shooting stars started a few years ago among other nondescriptive symptoms because i get confused and usually don't remember. i had to insist on a test for seizures. i have seizures. the shooting stars are not high blood pressure from everyone including dr that i asked. i do notice migraines shortly most of the time. it very well could be occular migraines from my experience. but what i wanted to post was i learned is the migraines can evolve to seizures i am told from neurologist. and shooting stars are one of the warnings one about to start.  ....but always get eyes checked asap first. could be retina damage issue. neuro will ask if eyes were checked.
I am right handed and mostly have used my left hand to use my cell phone.  I am 59.  I have high blood pressure, controlled by meds. Do no have migraines, but I have glaucoma in both eyes.  With surgery and eye drops my pressure has been great for a year now.  But the doc has seen more floaters in my eyes than she's seen in anyone else's before.  I do not see more than 2 in my vision.  But my left peripheral sees a slow, sliding flash of light.  Not quite a '©' shape.  I mentioned it at my last eye visit.  I did not get a definitive answer on it.  I was told that one of my retinas didn't look good.  I have much trouble with my vision if I look too long at my phone, or iPad, or computer or a book or a newspaper.  All my vision becomes VERY blurry.  And takes much time to recover.  I know the glaucoma went on too long before I found the right dr.  I will be blind one day.  My worst fear is yet to come.
I am 76 and have cataracts removed and lenses fitted my eyes to replace them.  

I had a huge lot of floaters, in both eyes, to the extent it affected my life negatively that I could not read of use my computer because they were always floating directly in my focal points.

The vitreous fluid was removed during the operation and I have been free of floaters for the last eight years or so.    

However, a few months ago I started noticing a bead of light that would move up or down , in a circular way in my peripheral vision.    

My vision is perfect but these beads of light in my right eye have really began to worry me and I am going to make an appointment with my eye doctor to make sure it is not something serious.  

I do not suffer from migraines.  

At night I sleep on my one side, with this eye pushed into my pillow this is the habit or way.  I have always sleep and maybe the pressure during the on my eye due to this might be the reason for these annoying beads?

Can anyone help?

Alan  

However, a few months ago i started noticing a bead of light that would move up or down in my peripheral vision.    

I do not suffer from migraines.  

At night I sleep on my one side, with my eye pushed into my pillow this is the habit or way.  I have always sleep and maybe the pressure during the on my eye due to this might be the reason for these annoying beads?

Can anyone help?

Alan  
I use to always have it in my right eye years ago. It always ment danger was coming. I never paid attention to the flash. The little sparkles would come first then hours later trouble. Now its in my left eye and I cant figure it out.Why?
I'm 21 and for the last month or two I have had white flashes, blue flashes in my peripheral vision, headaches, eye strain, etc. I went to the eye doctor and he dilated my eyes and couldn't find anything. He made me come back in 2 weeks because he said usually it resolves in that time, but mine didn't. He checked again and didn't see anything. I have to go to a retina specialist next month because he wants to make sure he isn't missing anything like a tear or something. I'm really scared it's neurological, I'm going blind, or dying or something. :(
I've been having these white flashes of backward 'C'
shapes that spin for a split second then go away in my lower right peripheral vision since having a cataract removed five weeks ago. An ophthalmologist checked my eye for retinal detachment at my request, said all was fine then said it was normal after having cataract surgery and most people get them. He said they don't go away, but most people get used to them in time and don't really notice them any more.They affect me most when I've been using the computer for some time. Wearing dark glasses help. I had severe myopia before the surgery and it's even more common with people who had this problem. I'm waiting for surgery on the other eye now, so suppose I'll have to put up with it in both eyes after the second op. :/  
Apologies, accidentally posted twice.