Neurology Community
Occasional white light flash in my peripheral vision

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am seeing an intermittant flash of white light in my left peripheral vision that looks like a moving circle or C.  I can see it with my eye open or closed and it seems to be worse at times.  Sometimes I don't notice it, but if I am in a dark ambient environment, I can sometimes see it flash every few seconds.  Sometimes I don't notice it at all.  I am 47 y.o. and it just started a few months ago.  Any ideas?
I just wanted to say your condition sounds similar to mine, although I am not sure if it is the same or not. Mine happens in both eyes, although it started only in my left eye. I see a circle of light that moves up or down in my peripheral vision.

Anyways, let me know if you find out anything. I'm still waiting to see a neurologist.
That happens to me to - has been for two years - went to so many eye doctors - and one finally told me she thinks they are ocular migranes (migraines) - because my vision is perfect - I am seeing nurologist next week - but so far everything is normal!
Hi there! I have started having the same thing the last few weeks and now it's getting more frequent. Should I even bother going to the Dr? My mother & a few people have said it could be very high blood pressure so I'm checking it today. I've always had the strange coloured blurry stuff in my peripheral just before a migraine hits and am used to those but these white lights are different and scaring me. Anything new with you?
Shawna
I just this week started to see what you have posted. but I have noticed I can close my eyes or just be in a dark place and turn my head side to side fairly quickly and cause the white laser type light to flash, encircling the peripheral area or just move my eyes side to side with my eyes open to stimulate the light.  Is this the case with you also?  I never have headaches or high blood pressure.   I noticed you posted May 12 2009 which has been sometime back, have you gotten any information of what this might be?  I wonder if anyone reads this that has any knowledge on it?
I have had Ocular Migraines since 1991. I also have Graves Thyroid Eye Disease. I have had the kaleidoscope in the Peripheral vision since 91. My eye doctor was the only person who figured it out back then. . .It seemed to be dormant for a very long time then about 6 months ago if flared up again and  this time along with it, were the streaking white lights. Like you, just a quick glance to the side can make that streaking light appear. Sometimes it there and sometimes it isn't. I do not know if age plays a role or not. I am 68 but this first started when I was about 59.
I am having the identical symptoms. Anyone have any answers?
I am having the same symptoms as you and it started suddenly.  Have you found out anything yet?
This was copied from perret-optic.com and may explain it (I get them also).

The vitreous is a gel-like fluid which fills most of the eye. As people age, this vitreous becomes more and more liquefied. The vitreous has loose attachments to the retina, and more firm attachments to the optic nerve. At some point in a person's life, the vitreous liquefies enough to shift position in the eye. When this occurs, usually between age 50 and 70, the back edge of the vitreous will pull forward away from the retina, leading to a "vitreous detachment". This is generally a normal process, although it may happen abnormally early in cases of high nearsightedness or trauma. As the vitreous detaches, it tugs on the retina.*** This is perceived as a flash of light, similar to a lightning flash in the corner of the vision.*** It may occur especially with eye movement, since the vitreous moves in the eye. Debris pulled off of the optic nerve and retina are then seen as floaters, suspended in the vitreous above the retina. Sometimes this is described as a cobweb, a net, a string, or a fly over the vision.

These symptoms usually resolve over a period of days to weeks, although some people will continue to see the floaters for a longer period of time. The important thing is to determine that the retina is healthy as the vitreous detaches. This requires a careful dilated examination of the retina to look for tears, or other areas which may be at risk for tearing. A retinal tear can then lead to retinal detachment, if not treated. Thus, people experiencing these symptoms should be examined by an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. (Note, only about 1 in 10,000 cases of vitreous detachment lead to retinal detachment, but it still is one of the most common causes of retinal detachment.)

glad to hear this is a common problem, I'm 60 and have been experiencing the flashing light in my left eye for several months.  I do have high blood pressure and I was worried it was related to stroke.  I do not have any health insurance and can't afford expensive tests, but I think I can afford an eye exam to verify the problem.
I just got back from the eye doctor for the exact same problem. The C did not move for me. When I moved my eye. the C stayed in the same place. It was diagnosed as an ocular migraine. I experienced nausea the day after and light and sound sensitivity.
hi there! I was experiencing occasional occurrence of spots bright balls falling on my left peripheral vision. I'm 25 years old/ female. This concerns me too much since it was only occasional before but i noticed recently they appear almost every hour. Still, I haven't consulted an eye specialist because of my busy schedule. I am hoping someone could tell me what exactly am I experiencing? thank you.  
Thanks NY2CA.

The flashes started tonite (7-17-12) and occur in my peripheral when I move my head side to side.

I'll see if it goes away this week, and may need to get it checked to see if retinal detachment is occurring.

Regards,

Brian
My daughter is ten years old she has been seeing a white light streak in both eyes several times a day for three days i thought at first it was a detached retina but the odds of having one in both eyes r not good just wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this she has a doctors appt. next week
you all have been helpful. I got hit in the left eye about a couple of weeks ago and ever since then have been seeing this ball of light "float" from the bottom corner of my left eye to the top corner of my left eye (which is why im on here). Its actually quite aggravating! it happens from seconds to minutes.thought it would go away on its own, but i definately will be seeing a doctor or opthalmologist now! i hope its not vitreous or retina detachment. i still can see perfect.
Thank you so very much for this information, I too have just started this, at first I thought it was the florescent lights at work.  I did go into my eye doctor and was confirmed to have great vision, she thought it may be a corroded artery, since I have hypertension.  So I then proceeded to see my health doctor and went in for an ultrasound.  Everything was great there too.  I am going to share this information with both doctors because they acted as if they have never ever heard of this before.  I don't have migraines, so I ruled that out myself.  I did notice though, when I put moisture in the form of liquid tears into my eyes it seems to help the symptom.
I am 59, and have been seeing these flashes for 2 days now.  I know I was seriously dehydrated two days ago.  My blood pressure is normally in the low-ideal range and I have enjoyed terrific health and mobility.  I have taken care of elderly folks since I was 14 and in those 45 years, none of them mentioned this occurring to them.  

I am wondering how many of us are right-handed and press our cell phones hard against our left ears.
I've had my vision and blood pressure checked, finally after 2 years and two trips to ER, migraines are my issue, just happy to know what it is. Also glad that there's no pain involved.
I had the same symptoms. In both eyes, mostly at night, sometimes first thing in the morning. A half circle of light at the outside edge of both eyes. I can reproduce this by pressing the inner corners of my eyes, that makes the circles of light appear. Weird. Thorough eye exam diagnosis was posterior vitreous detachment, as described above. Nothing needs to be done. Recheck in one year.
I had started having the same problem with the C light show in both eyes. It moves with my eyes when they move. At this time my doctor is checking me for pituitary gland tumor. She said that it is possible that the tumor could be pressing on my optic nerve. She has done blood work and I should get the results back this week. They are then going to do an MRI if the blood works points to me having the tumor.
This morning, all of a sudden, I started seeing a backwards C that consisted of flashing lights that were in the form of tiny little squares like the "bytes" on our tv when our satellite is not connecting property.  When it started, it blocked the center of what I was reading, then the backwards C started moving to the right, the arc of the C started to get larger but less clear and after about 20 minutes, it disappeared all together.  I could see it with my eyes closed and I could see it when I covered one eye and then the other.
On a few occasions over the past year or so, I thought I was seeing a flash of light in my lower left peripheral vision but it happens so fast, when it happens I would wonder....did that really happen?  It doesn't sound like something that should be worrisome but I plan to call my eye Dr. today just  to be cautious.
Mines as if someone has been taking pictures or like a beam almost occurs inside and outside during the middle of the day during work. Not sure what this is...
I've been experiencing this for the past 6 months or so. I am only 19 years old however. Some times it seems as if I can see some white particles building up in the bottom of my peripheral vision when I close my eyes or enter very dark rooms, and it just lingers down there until it swoops around to the side of my peripheral vision in a C-motion. I also  get these flashes with my eyes open.

Does anyone happen to have any symptoms with their ears? Sometimes the outer rim of my left ear canal begins to itch really badly, it becomes extremely agitated, it starts to feel a bit hot. This seems to happen right before my white flashes begins to flare up in my vision.
I've been experiencing two grey dots on the side of my vision. It started a week ago. I only see it when I move my eye horizontly and when there is white walls or light. When I'm in the dark, I see a white flash when I move my eyes up. Only in my left eye tho. Any suggestions why?
The white flash is only at the bottom of my left eye. My right eye seems to be fine.
I have been having these flashing lights on and off for years, it is almost pretty if it were not so scary. Sometimes there is pain sometimes not, sometimes nausea but not always. I am fairly certain what it is for me and reading your comments above I think some of you may have the same issue. I have a lot of back and neck issues and if I try to stretch my neck, relax my shoulders and slide my head from side to side slowly and hold the stretch, and do the same back and front, I can feel the tension behind my eye ease and the slight whistley whine(anyone else hear a whistle whine) start to lessen. As I started to write this I could not see very well, the light was quite intrusive, now after stretching it is almost gone.
Check your posture, see if there is any pressure on your spine or neck, rotate your head . I hope it helps you as it does me 8-)
Thank you mumt521. I don't see the flashes constantly, only when I move my eyes quickly and look up. The same for those grey shadow. I only see them when I move my eyes quickly up and down or horizontal. No pain. I did see grey dots a few weeks before and then they were gone. All I see now is a few grey dots here and there. I got very depressed for a few days thinking the worse. I've been thru some other health issues that have been resolved but it's always scary when something new comes up and I have no idea what it is. I'll be 50 soon. I still want to go get it checked just to make sure.
Forgot to mention, the flash is in the shape of the half of a new moon. My vision is fine and not blurry.
I see the strobe light-ish Image in my peripheral vision but I am only 12? Is it ok that it's THAT abnormally early?
I am 62.  tripped on a piece of equipment and knocked my head pretty hard, on the left side.  a day later and since, i have been seeing a white ball of light in my left eye that floats from the bottom left corner of my left eye upwards. sometimes it flashes blue. I see it every 10 to 15 min.  I have seen an opthomologist.  He says he never heard of such thing.  after being dilated, and checked for a very long time, he could find no abnormality at all.  I was afraid of retinal detachment, but there was no evidence of this.   if anyone can tell me what this is... I'd be very grateful.  it is annoying and a curiosity.
I don't know if you are too young to have that but do get it checked out.
It took me a whole month to finally see my eye doctor. I was very nervous not knowing what I had. The doctor told me that I don't have a retinal detachment nor any tears. A great sigh of relief. She told me that the streak of lightning I see when I look up and the two grey spots I see when I move my eyes down are part of getting older. One thing I was very happy was that my eyes didn't have to get dilated. Patients have the option of taking a picture of their eye. I had to pay extra but I preffered that rather than getting my eyes dialted.
I wouldn't know what it is but I have learned in the past that one doctor may not know and another does. Try seeing an Optomotrist. Hope you find out why and hopefully it'll go away.
this is happening to me today, you described it perfectly. Did you ever find out what it was?
I did a search on the internet & saw this thread. I am a 57 yr old female having problems with the balls of light going up the side of my eyes also. Benn to the opthamologist and had a dialated eye exam. He said my retina looked healthy. I asked him about the light at the side of my eyes and he said my virtueos is soupy and tugging on the retina.
I see these balls of light in both eyes (left is worse) off and on all day, mostly when I am in a dark room.I hope it is just old age because it is causing me extreme anxiety. Does it ever calm down and go away? I won't even have health Ins. to fix it in case of a tear until Obamacare kicks in Jan 2014. How do you all deal with the stress?
The doctor told me my virtueos is becoming liquified/soft and that's it part of getting older and that I started early at 49. She said it's harmless and that the spots I was seeing and the lightning or flash of light at the bottom of my eye is from the pulling of the retina. She said it will never go away but that my brain will get used to having those there and that eventually, I won't notice them. I did read on the internet that when this happens, spots and flashes go away in around 6 weeks. Mine went away or barely noticeable in 4 1/2 weeks.
When I first noticed my problem, I got depressed but not to the point of going to the doctor. I did some crying and everything looked gray for a whole month.  I dealt with it by distracting myself by doing things I love to do. I only saw spots and flashes when I moved my eyes and in light areas. When I was in my family room with darker colors, it was like I had nothing and at times I thought it was gone. Maybe yours will go away after a few weeks. Try not to think about it, that's another thing I did. Getting older affects us not only in our bodies but in our eyes too.
Thanks for your advice Obie. I try not to think about it and I see it less. Taking my dog for a walk takes my mind of things.
Glad to hear =)
I  have had the bubble like kaleidoscope thing going on ONLY  in bright light in my peripheral vision..I have seen a eye doctor and a neurologist had a MRI no one seems to know what is going on..
The Neurologist seems to think it some thing to do with Ocular Migraine. I have had this probably 6moths now...
At least I know I have not had a stroke and no tumours...
I also have these white almost chicklet shaped floaters that will move up and down and across the edge of my vision. Neither  my retina or my glaucoma specialist  has any idea of what it is . It will usually only travel at at a slow speed and last only seconds. These are not floaters, of which I have many nor tears, of which I have had a few. I am also diagnosed with deteriorated retina, macular pucker, and cist on the retina, none of which are known to cause these "chicklet s" as I describe them. Does anybody know?

THANK YOU!! This periodically happens to me in my right eye (always my right eye) and it drives me nuts for hours. I got up, stretched and rolled my head around and it went away instantly! Maybe it time to go to a chiropractor lol.
Hi I have just recently started to have the same thing in my right eye, I get ocular migranes (migraines) in my left eye and this flash in my right eye is like the same thing when the ocular migraine starts to expand, I don't have high blood pressure am 63 and in good health, but have been sneezing a lot lately, i wonder if this has something to do with it
Just a comment about Ocular Migraines ...mine started in 2005   a small oval like a stained  glass window or frost on glass.....slowly expands to cover the whole vision field ...before my eye doctor told me what it was    I found that caffeine in chocaholic like M&M candy would solve the problem in less then 1 minute........hope that helps...
I'm just turned 56 ist wk of Aug. Both eyes for about a yr have had a pearl float up or down outside edge field of view. itermittantly three or four times a wk then more often. I am diagnosed with copd and emphysema. I am on oxygen therapy. Just doesn't get any better than this !  ha ha.
I have this problem too, although I am 23 and it has become an issue since my friend whacked me in the face with a pillow. The zip caught my left eye and it remained bloodshot for a good few days. It has since cleared up but I keep seeing white rippling in my peripheral vision. At first I kept getting a fright because I thought it might have been a ghost or at least something around me like an insect, but it is more and more regular. Please help!
I remember almost 25 years ago, that I would be sitting in the living room, and totally freak out, thinking a car was driving up from the left eye, as it looked like a car with high beams was coming. The moment I would look in the direction it would disappear. I was always told it could have been some form of glaucoma or elevated ocular pressure, I've never had it happen again. you may outgrow it,
I'm 18 and only in the past few days have seen sudden white flashes in my left eye. I had a really bad headache (which I usually don't suffer from) so my mum said I had to got the optician. He explained that I'm really short sighted in my left eye and that could be why I've seen the flashes. But he wasn't sure, but didn't seem to bothered because he had checked both eyes and said they were healthy. I now need glasses and hope this will solve the problem. Like other users I've thought a ghost or someone is beside me because of the light but as soon as I look there it goes. He did ask me if I had banged my head or hit it as this could cause serious damage to the eye, so if your not sure of your eye and the flash I would get it checked out!!
I'm 18 and have had the same, after seeing after going the optician, he checked both of my eyes and dais they were ok, but I did need glasses. He also said that until 21 my eyes will grow so it could carry on. Do you still see the light now?
hi I have a pituitary tumour which has never been measured but ive been getting the c 's on the outer sides of my eyes for over two years and no loss of sight and tumour not getting any worse so hang in there..mine is a prolactinoma and also called a microadenoma because its smaller than 5mm.
Hi I noticed it said between 60 and 70 but I get this and I'm only 14 was there any information about that please reply
Hello
I am also have light flashes in the corner of my left eye.  I had them in and off for awhile, but for the last two or three weeks I see them more often especially at night and in the morning when I first get up out of bed and walk around.  If I use eye drops it gets better for awhile but sometimes when I put the drops in before I fall asleep, the eye drops make my eyelids stick together and I think that pulls on my eye lids a little.
I saw the eye doctor about five months ago and she said my retina is good, but I  have many floaters and the beginning if cateracts and my vitreous is pulling away.  I am 65 years old.  I need to go see my doctor again and am so nervous and stressed.  Thank you
Hello
Be sure to see a Dr.  I started having problems with seeing the teacher and then flashes and zig zag neon lights.  I couldn't think and was very nauseated.  I was scared at age 12-what was happening to me.  Dr. dignosed it as migraine.  This al started with the hormonal changes of puberty, so this may be what is happening with you, but let a Dr. check it out.
Now, at a much older age, I started having different symptoms, the backward C when I blinked.  Went to ophthalmologist and he said the gel in my eye was starting to liquify and pull on the retina.  No tears in retina at this time but need to "keep an eye on it."  He said it was a harmless floater.  Please check it out. I went through a lot of anxiety, to thankfully, have good results.
Thank you so very much.  I will try to get an appointment tomorrow since today is Sunday.  Wish I go right now.

The strange thing is that my eye sight seems not to be affected that much.I have some floaters but nothing too bad.  It comes and goes, but one eye feels tired.  Years ago I had a small tear in the retina and believe me those symptoms were so scary.  I had flashing lights not just streaks of lights in the corner and many dark floaters and strings.  I had laser treatment, but these symptoms are different...................but still so upsetting and scary.  I appreciate your response.  
this is amazing, thought I would take a chance and google this symptom, an occasional flashing light up the peripheral left side, sometimes the right as well, intermittently for about two years now, thanks for sharing...not the only one, I also get a type of migraine that causes a zig zag flash that starts in the centre of vision and progressively the ring fills the eye sight lasting for about 10 to 15 minutes.  
I have been experiencing exactly the same thing. White ball of light moves from bottom left corner of my left eye to top corner.its been happening for a cpl weeks now.I'm concerned these recent posts don't correctly explain the cause seeing how am only 23 years old and have never had eye problems.I am worried though that my past drug and alcohol abuse and current extreme stress may be directly connected.I do not have insurance so visiting a Dr for  a minor occurance is out of the question but if anybody has some insight on my situation please reply asap.thanks again
Saw my Eye doctor, and she looked closely at my eye and retina.  All good.  The virteous is what is giving me the illusion of flashes mostly in myl efty eye, although  do get them in my right eye at times.   I also have the beginning of cateracts, but thats all.  There is nothing they can do for the flashes, so I guess I will have to live with them. Seems so strange that they cannot give you drops to help with the flashes.  I wonder if all of folks who get them,  have found a solution.aspirin, advil
Thank goodness the Affordable Care act will kick in soon. I am without ins. too. Sounds like you need to get that checked out.
Hello - I have exactly the same symptoms and, after seeing an opthomologist and having a thorough exam (including fluorescent dye imaging of the retina), everything seems fine. I have "ocular migraine" and that is what is suspected. No headaches, though.
Let me start by saying I had to read each and every comment posted to not feel totally started and threatened by this monthly occurances if flashing white lights in both my right and left eye. It first happens with a small headache then with a matter of minutes becomes full blown white lights that lasts to thirty minutes.,and from reading the posts I am only 27 years old and believe it probably has to do with a trauma incident.
A car hit me at 50 miles an hour on the turn pik of a main highway., and minutes previous to that my family and myself two years ago and just had an accident only called 911 to report or accidents. So as myself was getting out of the highway a man in a BMW what I will never forget, thought it oka to ignore the crashed cars an proceed to the right only to hit me from behind along with my family members.
My mother , my. Little sister an my brother and then boyfriend who was holding my nephew.
This is the only hung I can try explaining to myself to explain these white lights.
We're all oka. , and I hav a beautiful baby girl who is about to turn 2 of age.
they are migraines, or linked to migraine auras...I have been diagnosed with auras and this is another symptom...this could happen to you if you eat certain foods, stress, lack of sleep etc...after it happens think of what you have done recently that could have caused it. Keep a journal to track any possible causes...hope this helps.
did you ever find out what it was i have the same thing
did you ever find out what it was. I have the same thing
This evening (2014-Jan-20), for the life of me, I couldn't figure where these unusual & increasingly irritating flashes of light we're coming from in my perripheral vision.
It was driving me nuts looking for the source of these bright phantom reflections.
I'm 53 and do not have problems with migraines or high blood pressure. My pupils were dilated this past summer & everything was fine.
Thankfully I deduced after only a few hours of "suffering" that my problem was yet another side effect of generic Zanaflex.
This perscription dries out my eyeballs as well as the skin around my eyes. Though I faithfully use Vaseline multiple times per day, I unfortunately had slacked off using my eye drops.
Right now I use Systane eye lubricant with NO preservatives. It comes in little "vials" that have about 8 drops each -- prevents contamination & makes them portable.
So far it thankfully solved my problem.
Will keep you posted if it starts up again.
I'm 60 and enjoy good health and just started seeing lightening bolt flashes in my right peripheral vision. I had just started riding my mountain bike again after being off it for about 4 months due to a shoulder injury. I have also had some degeneration in my neck (C2 and C3) ironically from cycling a lot for the last 28 years, holding my neck up while leaning over the bike. So I'm  wondering about my neck pinching a nerve. I was also wondering about the cell phone idea, because my old phone gets hot on my right ear which bothers me if I am on the phone for a while.
cycle fun
Greeting; I'm replying as a fellow biker.
Myself - near 60; bike-tech, Mtb-instructor and former NORBA competitor.
1st; who diag. the C-V degeneration, your Primary Care, GP (General Practitioner), a referred Orthopedic Doctor, Neurologist or are we talking Chiropractor here?
2nd; have you ever been in a car cash (particularly rear-ended), been hit on the head or fallen off the bike that involved the head or upper-body (do you wear a helmet)?
3rd; have you been treated by a Chiropractor before for neck issues and was treatment by hand pressure/muscle tension or of a tool-punch/machine force type?

I been experiencing a brief, small white flash (too fast to identify any shape) in the lower outer corner of the right eye (interesting that most all here post left or both eyes). I feel a constant muscular discomfort/tension (sometimes very dull faint throb) in the right side of face, from back of the neck (semispinalis capitis & occipital bone) to cheek-bone and up to above the temple. This was present before the flashes began. My BP has always been spot-on normal, recently had a full eye exam and advanced testing (normal) as I now needed bifocals.

Note: for the first time (as I’m writing this, figuring it out) I found that if I finger-massage along the ‘superior nuchal line’, half the tension felt to my face is relieved (now that’s telling something). So, I think I have a theory.

Notice and Disclaimer: Each persons anatomy, physical/health history and problematic condition are uniquely different and questions/examination should always be referred to your Primary Care / medical professional.
Hi Donna, I have been experiencing these flashing lights and noticed that you said the eye drops worked eliminate them. Did it happen straight away or did you need to take it for weeks before you know it works? Thanks, Brenda
No, the lights did not go away immediately after using drops but they did eventually go away and have not returned.
In addition to those eye drops in vials (which I use once or twice a day everyday), I also "lubricate" my eyes with Vaseline once or twice per day also.
HOWEVER, I bought a small container, put a label on it "eyes only" and only apply on each eye using a clean tissue. (To prevent contaminating Vaseline, I never put my finger in it, nor reuse same area of tissue.)
I never figured out if lights were caused from excessive dry eyes, or something else.
I still have very dry eyes, and area around my eyes has gotten super sensitive, itchy, somewhat "crusty," and would sometimes slightly tear resembling a painful paper cut. (Again, not sure if any of this is related to dry eyes which was related to lights.)
Went to dermatologist on May 16, and though I got some creams and found out I had a D3 deficiency, I am unable to pursue serious treatment for my skin nor see an ophthalmologist (which was my next plan of action) because...
on May 17, 5.5 hrs before my son graduated from high school, I broke my back in two places. (Unfortunately it was totally my fault by leaning on an inversion board for just a moment without my feet inserted properly while at a friend's house for a very short visit. Amazing how one stupid thing can change your entire life in a very short amount of time.)
Therefore, I am going to pursue an eye specialist after my spinal fusion heals (hopefully surgery will be scheduled by mid-July), and then will provide eye update.
Still, I am very curious as to finding a definite, logical explanation of what causes those flashing lights because I know it was quite scary for me, and I am sometimes concerned that they may come back.
FYI - Replenishing D3 and using prescription creams for a month has produced no improvement with my dry eyes or dry skin (around my eyes).
Furthermore, any correlation between medicine and dry eyes seems ungrounded.
Even when not taking medicine that I knew dried my eyes, when I didn't take it for an extended period of time, my dry eyes might have improved slightly, but not significantly enough to establish (unprofessionally, of course) any direct relationship between the two.
Just started with the flashes of white light about a month ago and I couldn't make heads or tails of them. Thanks for the ALL the comments, really helped a lot.  
July 20th I noticed floaters that look like gnats in my right eye...when I looked at my computer screen. Over the last few weeks floaters increased in number and where especially annoying when outside in bright light.. Then about 2 weeks ago I started noticing a flash in my peripheral vision...kind of like an arc. This occurs when I move my head quickly.This all occurs in bright light or against a white background. So, last Thursday I saw my optometrist who dilated my eyes and looked for a retinal tear. She said all looked normal. I am 59 years old and she said age makes the vitreous pull away from the retina and is common cause of floaters and flashes. This is driving me nuts. I do not see the flashing at nite...only in light. She thinks the flashing is really a floater in the periphery that I am just seeing the tail of. How do people live with this. It is stressful and annoying. Thinking of seeing an ophthalmologist tomorrow for another opinion. The floaters I can live with, but the weird flash like thing when I move my head or look sideways is more than a little disturbing. My only health issues at this point are low B12 which I am treated for and Hashimoto's thyroid. Any suggestions? Does anyone else see the flashes only when they move their head?
I have had ocular migraines, but I also experience the white flashes. For me, they are 2 different events. The ocular migraine in my case, can be seen whether my eyes are open or closed. and tends to looks like a spinning movement, and not necessarily in the peripheral. The white flashes, are at the FAR peripheral, to a point where I actually turn my head, thinking there is something there. No headache with either. I haven't seen a dr about the white flashes, as they just recently started, maybe a month ago. Ocular migraines, in my case, always occurred if I forgot to take my birth control pill, and doubled up on it. I no longer take the birth control, and have not had one since.
more than 10 years ago I was dx with retinal migraines....round fluorescent lights either in one or both eyes...last about 15 minutes and then go away.  recently I've noticed a flash of white light in my left upper periphery.  so afraid of strokes I'm thinking I'll be going to check with doctor soon.  
Thank you for posting. I am 60 and had these flashes and floaters for 2 months. Eye exam with tests and dilating  had costed me $400 but the doctor did not identify the cause, although said that the retina was intact. I was ready to go to another ophthalmologist, but will skip for now after reading your post. I have another symptom that started recently, like sticky eye lids. It is on the same eye that has flashes and floaters. Just wonder if anybody has that also.
I'm 55 and I have the same symptoms many of you describe, except for me it starts when I move my eye to the left or right. In a darkened room it's very noticeable. a very 'thin' bright arc on the outer edge of the vidion in my left eye. My theory is movement puts more pressure on the muscles or outer edge of the eye and causes what I describe as an 'orbiting electron' effect.  I can also 'simulate it by pressing on my eye in certain places (not advised). Some times I see a half circle in my left eye far left vision field, other times it's a full circle on far edge of my left eye.

Saw an Optometrist and retina was good with a laser scan and photos, though she diagnosed me with a possible retinal edema (swelling) of underlying layer of retina. Why is it swollen? she said stress can cause it. She also said she had rarely seen people with this and they were mostly 'men'.  

But I also have a another theory now after reading all your posts. Possible food related? (I drink diet Dr. Pepper alot). or 2) Nerve issue in neck.  3) Pimple on inside of eyelid that hurts possibly causing eye pressure when moving eye.

I too hurt my neck a year ago in C4/C5 area while bike riding. Disc slowly healed with VAX-D and chiropractic care but recently went in to see her again for lower back issue. She did adjust my neck with those dropping 'adjuster' table for neck area...hmm?  Using 'eye wash' like the kind used for contact lense users seem to help me get through the day at the moment.  I've only had this three days now.  Will post an update later to let you know how I'm doing if it helps anyone else.
Update: Here's an update I promised. Symptoms that started last Monday have now subsided by today (Saturday). During this time I worked at my computer as a software developer, used eye wash - the kind used for contact lense wearers by Baurch+Lomb (Advanced eye relief eye wash). I also stopped drinking diet colas if that was doing anything. Not sure if I had an eye injury, or as the optometrist suggested a retinal edma (swelling)..
Thank you all for posting! I have finally found a place where there are so many people with symptoms I have had for 4 years. My doctor had no idea what my lights were. He said they were an "anomaly". I feel scared enough without him saying that.
I have the same lights in both eyes that go up and down in a half circle on the outside edges. I had my retinas checked in both eyes to make sure I didn't have a tear or detachment. I am 60 years old with a broken back, hep. C from a transfusion from surgeries on my back and a migraine sufferer for 20 years.
What I do for my lights is I close my eyes tightly for 10 or 15 seconds a few times and it seems to make the lights go away for a while when they are annoying me.
Since my back is so messed up from breaking it and having to have fusion on 5 vertebrae in the "T" section I am going to try chiropractic on the "C" section up near my neck to see if that helps. Plus, drink a lot more water for hydrating my eyes.
Noticed some white flashes about 2 weeks ago in my peripheral, followed by an onset of floaters.  Went to the ophthalmologist, who after examining quickly sent me to the vitreous surgeon for what he saw as a retina tear.  The surgeon performed a laser burn on the spot.  I am still seeing roughly the same floaters and occasional white flash afterward, which he said will persist for a while.  Will go back in a week for followup.