Neurology Community
Occipital Neuralgia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Occipital Neuralgia

Can anyone tell me the difference between occipital neuralgia and occipital headaches? I know that my headaches are cervicogenic in origin. I have cervical spondylosis and have neck muscle spasms that often give me headaches that start from the back of the head and end at the eye area. Other symptoms include dizziness and nausea.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there.  Occipital headache is one, which is felt at the occiput and can radiate to the vertex.  This may result from inflammation, injury, or pressure on the occipital nerves, upper cervical spinal roots, etc . paresthesia  of the tissues of the scalp and the skin of neck is characteristic of occipital headache. Occipital neuralgia is a referred pain from inflammation or compression of the greater occipital nerve as it exits between the occiput and first cervical vertebra to pierce the cervical muscle tendons. Pain radiates to the eye and scalp over the eye. Photophobia is another symptom. Consult your neurologist to differentiate between the two conditions and treat likewise. Take care.

.