Neurology Community
Occipital Neuralgia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Occipital Neuralgia

I was diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia and was given a nerve block and a prescription for Amitriptyline. Does anyone have any experience with this drug? Thanks!
I was wondering what your symptoms were with your Occipital Neuralgia?  I have alot of problems with that region of my head.  Physical Therapist thought that it could be from muscle spasms, but I don't think so.  I have a burning, tight, pulling feeling.  Its very painful.  Thanks!!
I was diagnose with ON, and really that feeling of constant pain, burning, "tight"...and sensible at touch is incredible. I tray Meds..like Neurontin (it help a little) the only pain reliever I can say it does help for me Is Fioricet! (believe me I try "everything"). I try nerve blocker, help from a level 8 to a 6 , not much (twice)! I was told today surgery is my only salvation! Sorry for everyone that is  living what neuralgia is. Hoping this ends soon! I will go for it just to open my eyes again and be Me and free of the chains of pain! Good luck! Travi
Does massage seem to inflame your ON.  Any other things that cause a flareup?
Hello. I also have Occ Neuralgia and Trigeminal Neuralgia.I just had a c2 block for the occipital Neur. Perhaps we can share experiences...Storm007
I have suffered from Occ. headaches for years and the pain can be unbearable.  I've had many injections into the base of my skull, into the occ. nerves and while it's weird having a numb skull (no pun intended) for a couple hours, the injections work for quite awhile.  These are quite painful injections so I only do them when I'm sick of taking my miracle drug Fioricet.  I take pain meds for spinal injuries and meds for other stuff so it's nice to drop one med for awhile.  Has anyone had the trigger point injections?    haffielover
I was just diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia yesterday after YEARS of constant and horrific pain. I will do my first round of injections next week. On Decemeber 2, they are going to do another round of injections as well as some trigger point injections, so after that, I will let you know how the trigger point injections go.  I am at the point that I will try anything. I literally tried to pry my skull back with a screwdriver one time because I just can't handle the pain much longer.  Any other hints for relieving and living through the pain would be greatly appreciated!

Nicole
I was diagnosed with occipital neuralgia in June 2008 since then I have taken so many drugs that I am sick of them besides none worked I have had shots in my head and a block last week that doesn't seem to be working. My son that is 20 has put his life on hold to help me with his 3yr old sister since after I have 1 good day it is usually followed by 3 to 4 bad ones. I am at the end of my rope and need to know if there is an alternative treatment that I haven't tried. I have taken Lyrica, Fioricet, Cymbalta, Amitryptilyn, and Percocet. Nothing seems to give me any relief for more than a few hours at a time if it works at all.
I was diagnosed with occipital neuralgia in July 2005.  It was nice to know that something was wrong after suffering from this for the last 15 years.  I have tried the Nerve blocks in the occipital area as well as a rhizotomy.   These help for about 2-3 months.  I am in the works of getting an neurostimulaor soon.  I feel for anyone that has this.  It is very frustrating for me because I am still able to work thru the pain and people think that it is "all in my head".  Well it is and this is no joke but to people that do not have this they have no clue and will never have any idea how much this impacts your life and how you live.
Amitryptyline is an antidepressant. It was given to me to help me sleep, I have heard of it being prescribed for migraines as a preventative.
I currently have chronic Headaches that start in the upper neck or base of the skull but my Scalp is not tender to the touch. My headaches get worse while I am working on a computer and looking at the screen. Currently the back of my head and my upper neck feels like it is going to explode, I go through this everyday. I have had this condition for the past 24 years, once for 4 years, another for 1.5 years, sometimes for a few months. Sometimes I go pain free for a few years, the last time I had this condition was 9 years ago. I have presently had it now for 6 months. It's like I'm going crazy. I'm currently on 25 mg Zoloft but it is not doing much good. I am in constant agony and pain, but lying down takes it away somewhat. I can't exercise because I get really dizzy. When I was in my 20's, I had 2 diving accidents hitting my skull hard and a severe whiplash.

Is there anyone with my condition out there? Do I have ON?
Do you know of any remedies? I have tried massage therapy, physical therapy, acupunture and anti-depressants. Please help, thank-you.
I also have occipital neuralgia and its driving me crazy. It started in June 2008. It gives me really bad nausea and now I get headaches everyday on top of  the weird pain in the back of my head which is also very sensitive to touch. Nobody seems to know what I'm talking about and sometimes I feel like people think that I'm over exagerating. I am taking Nortriptiline for the headaches and that helps me function. I am trying a lot of things myself like accupuncture which helps for a little while, massage therapy and I think chiropractor is next. For somebody who never got headaches before I now feel like I have to live my life wondering what today is going to be like. Take care and lets hope that this will go away.
i was on the same drug for ON.  it did help a bit but gave me very weird side effects.  it messed up my speech and way of thinking.  it was almost like i forgot how to talk and how to answer a simple question.  the dr said that's not odd because it's a blocked and it could've been blocking the brain from getting the correct signals to make me function normal.  i'm on gavapentin now but i just started so i haven't had any relief yet.  good luck
Hi Jenny,  I have Occipital Neuralgia for many years and the doctors always thought I had migraines, which it is commonly misdiagnosed as until I went to one neurologist who diagnosed me correctly.  Check out this link.  http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/occipitalneuralgia/occipitalneuralgia.htm
And ask your doctor for it.  I have been through so many kinds of treatments for migrains that my insurance offered to cover treatments of Botox which are life changing.  I am also on an anti seziure medication to help control them, Zonegran and now live with the occasional headache, but nothing like before.

Good luck.
I see you posted this in 2008 so hopefully you have found something that helps you now, but if you still need help I am happy to provide what I can.  I have been through the ringer for the last 5 years and you have a lot of the same symptoms I had.  Let me know if you have questions and I can do my best to direct you.
HELLO. I TOO HAVE OCCIPITAL NERVE HEADACHES VERY VERY OFTEN! WAAAAY TOO OFTEN! (DR TOLD MY OCCIPITAL NERVE HEADACHES) NOW THANKS TO THIS, I KNOW THE REAL NAME. EVERYONE IS SO RIGHT ON THE MONEY W/ SYMPTOMS AND THE HORRENDOUS PAIN! I ALSO HAVE NEUROFIBROMATOSIS. SO FAR, IVE FOUND NO DR WHO KNOWS MUCH ABOUT THE NF. TO THE PERSON WHO SAID DR OR PEOPLE THINK YOU ARE EXAGGERATING OR IN MY CASE LYING TOO, SO TRUE! I USED TO GO TO A PAIN DR AND GOT SO SICK OF THE OPIATES!!! I HAVE FOUND THAT FIOROCET WORKS PRETTY GOOD SOMETIMES AND WILL TAKE 2 BC POWDERS WITH IT. BUT HONESTLY, IM USUALLY IN PAIN FOR 3-4 DAYS RUNNING. UNFORTUNATLY, MY INS DONT COVER THE SHOTS! AND AS U KNOW THEY ARE SKY HIGH IN PRICE! I WISH EACH AND EVERY ONE OF U LUCK AND RELIEF. IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A MED THAT MAY WORK WITH OR EVEN BETTER THAN FIOROCET PLEASE LET ME KNOW! TIRED OF SUFFERING! THANKS, JENNIFER