Neurology Community
Occipital Neuralgia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Occipital Neuralgia?

So for the pas 2 years I have had brutal pain in the back of my head. Shooting pain in one spot in the back and sometimes on the top.

3 years ago I was attacked and kicked in the back of the head numerous times, my doctor thinks I have Occipital Neuralgia.

Along with the pain I get extremely dizzy, and get weird tingling sensations in my face, I have had MRIs and catscans that have all come back negative for anything serious.

The medicine Iv takin (neurontin, flexeril, and prozac) have done very little to help my pain. Does anyone else suffer from ON and are my current symptoms right? Im very nervous about the tingling on the right side of my face.

-Paul
Occipital neuralgia is a persistent pain that is caused by an injury or irritation of the occipital nerves located in the back of the head. Symptoms include the following: Headaches that are localized or following a "ram's horn" pattern on the side of the head, often starting in the upper neck or base of the skull. It can be one-sided or on both sides ;Scalp that is tender to the touch, often hypersensitive. Even brushing your hair can be a painful experience ;Pain or pressure behind the eyes.tingling or numbness may accompany . Eyes are very sensitive to light especially when the headache is present. Treatment usually consists attempting to relieve the pain. This often involves a massage to relax the muscles in the area of the occipital nerves. Bed rest may relieve acute pain. In cases in which the pain is especially intense, as in a migraine type of pain, pain-relieving drugs and antidepressants can be taken. Other treatments involve the blocking of the impulses from the affected nerve by injection of compounds that block the functioning of the nerve. Steroids can also be injected at the site of the nerve to try to relieve inflammation. However, the usefulness and long-term effects of this form of steroid therapy are not clear.
In extreme cases where pain is frequent, the nerves can be severed at the point where they join the scalp. The person is pain-free, but sensation is permanently lost in the affected region of the head. Please consult a neurologist for the management . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !