Old concussions and future brain impairment
My husband had a severe concussion during his military service 40 yrs ago that left him unconcious for 24hrs.  After recouperating a month in the hospital he was well.   When he turned 60, he had an episode of seizures and was hospitalized.    His memory and cognitive functioning and personality was severely damaged after being released.  It's since recouped about 50% and stabilized.

MRI's showed: subtle areas of cortical encephalomalacia within the inferior left frontal lobe, left temporal region and left parietal region from remote trauma; mild to moderate microvascular ischemic changes within the cerebral white matter; mild to moderate whole brain atrophy.. with no signs of mesial temporal sclerosis (epilepsy).

My question is this:  Can a concussion/brain trauma in younger years set off seizures and be related to this kind of damage in older age?
I sympathize with your husband’s health concern. Usually, localized softening of the brain after the depressed, contusion head injuries and due to hemorrhage/inflammation is called Encephalomalacia. After head injury such kind of symptoms like seizures, paralysis may be common due to already damaged part of brain and may remain symptomatic or progress in future. Although any permanent cure can not be assured in such cases, but symptomatic relief, physiotherapy, avoiding triggering factors and life style modification help you in certain extent. Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist who will evaluate the further prognosis here and can provide him an appropriate treatment. Hope this helps.