Neurology Community
One sided facial numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

One sided facial numbness

Good Morning,

For the past 13 days, I have been waking up with the right side of my face numb.  This includes the inside of mouth and tongue on the right side.  It goes up to my forehead.  I have total movement of face, it is just numb.  It usually goes away by lunch time.  Also in the morning, I have these headaches in the back of my head when I bend over to feed the cat or pick something up.  I don't know if the two are related.  I have no pain in my face when it is numb or at any other time.  I can smile, frown, move my eyes and eyebrows.  So everything works just numb. Is this something I should go in for? Thanks for any info provided!
Hi, Thank you for your question. The symptoms you are describing bear resemblance to few possibilities like facial nerve palsy, trigeminal neuralgia MPDS( myofacial pain dysfunction) and then TMJ disorder due to strenuous opening of mouth for long sittings of RCT. Facial nerve palsy is characterized by inability to close eye, loss of sensation on affected part, difficulty in speaking and mask like face on affected side because facial nerve innervates facial muscles and any damage to facial nerve may cause inability make facial expressions like smiling, frowning etc. Second possibility is Trigeminal neuralgia - neural pain of face with possible loss of sensation on the affected part of face but eye is seldom involved. It is usually associated with history of traumatic extraction of ipsilateral tooth. Third possibility can be sinusitis due to possible oro-antral fistula after extraction leading to sinus infection. This may lead to dull pain over the cheek area but inability to close eye and tongue involvement may not be explainable with this condition. You may consult an oral surgeon/physician/ neurologist to rule out above stated possibilities who may be able to help you in this regard. Take care.