Neurology Community
Ongoing Neurological symptoms ruining my life!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi all. I've been suffering for a year and a half now with progressive neuro symptoms that are ruining my life. It started as a kind of numbness on my left calf, not totally numb, feels almost like trousers are wet and sticking to my leg(?) It proceeded to spread to my right calf a few months later. Following this I developed a strange feeling on a specific part of the left side of my back, just under my shoulder blade. Like a tingling, buzzing feeling that comes and goes. Then I had a feeling of pressure or numbness in the back of my head which has now all but subsided. I also have recently developed a wierd, horrible tingling feeling on my left ear, around the area where the ear joins the head. I also feel this sometimes in my left ear and it feels really itchy. Additionally, I have a cold spot on the very left side of my forehead and occasionally a cold spot on my left forearm. I also have some numbness on the very end of my right little finger. These symptoms come and go but not a day goes by where I don't get plagued by them.
My eyesight has deteriorated slightly over the last 18 months and I have been prescribed glasses for moderate short sightedness which work fine for me. Before these symptoms my eyes were perfect.
I have had a CT scan (6 months ago), MRI scan of the head/neck (3 months ago) and numerous bloodwork, all of which were normal. The neurologist cant find anything wrong. I was prescribed Propranolol which did nothing for me! I am so down!
I am an active male, 27, 6` 2" 200lbs. Medical history: glandular fever aged 14, migraines (approx 1 per year).
Help!
I have had some similiar symp's, with same tests that came up normal.
I am now ruling in/out Lyme disease.  Lyme disease mimics many of these symp's.  That doesn't mean you have it, it just means that you may want to pursue the idea of getting checked by a Lyme literate doctor.  The lyme bacteria can hide in your spinal fluid, muscles and tendons which makes it difficult to diagnose and eradicate from the body.  According to the CDC, Lyme has been report in almost ever state. Here in California, it has been reported in over 42 of our 50 some counties.
Check www.lymnet.org  for education and info on a Lyme specialist in your area.... and NO, I am not a Lyme freak. I'm just frustrasted and stuck in the same boat, like you, trying to get a diagnosis (whatever it is) so I can get treated for some of these painful symp's
Thanks. I forgot to mention that my symptoms began soon after a holiday in Cuba. I like in the UK. I have also had spells of felling really dizzy and out of it with fast heart rate (though not for a while now). Similar to panic attacks I guess. I am obviously scared of MS but my neurologist says I don't have it. I sometimes feel tired but have no weakness at all. I am a practising martial artist.

I just want to feel well again!
Keep pushing the doctors to find out what is wrong. That is their job to diagnose, treat and get you healthy again.

Best of health!
What is a "Lyme Freak"? I'm sure you did not mean to insult those with Lyme Disease who are truly suffering and having to fight for answers and medication from disbelieving and ignorant doctors.
Nope, to the contrary, I was referring to people who accuse those of being Lyme "freaks" for recommending that people get tested or suspect they may have Lyme.   In other words, anyone who suggest to others to get tested should not be called a "freak".  I'v seen several posting at the Doc to patient neurology site where people have called other  Lyme "freaks" in reference Lyme.
I've posted this on this site before so sorry for repeating myself, but my doctor actually go angry at me for suggesting I might have Lyme. He snapped at me and said "Pauline you do NOT have Lyme Disease". This is in Southern Connecticut in July mind you. What is it that makes doctors so disbelieving and even hostile about Lyme Disease? Mine wouldn't even give me a Lyme test when I asked for it, but for all of the people I know who tested negative but were later diagnosed with it and responded well to antibiotics - and there are many - is it that doctors are just completely close minded to anything they can't point there finger to like a postive test? It doesn't matter that all of the literature points to the tests being inaccurate, they just have to see those reactive bands or it doesn't exist. Just venting guys. To the original poster ... follow your instincts is all I have to say.
yeah, the gov't and the medical boards that don't support Lyme testing and treatment--they're the real "freaks"
Google "symptoms of mercury filings" first check your mouth for silver fillings.  This may not be your problem as you indicated that this occured when you went to Cuba it mya be a avirus.  But I strongly suggest that you check your mouth as exposure to heat my trigger the mercury in fillings and start a roller coaster of illnesses.

Cheers.
Hi Munz, sorry to hear of your problems.  I live in the UK too and can empathise with most of what you've written.  I too have some strange symptoms and have had to varying degrees for about 10 years now!  numbness/tingling left arm/leg, muscle weakness, tickly/itchy muscles, pressure headaches, vision disturbance, extreme fatigue at times, chest pains, severe neck ache.  I too have had numerable MRIs, blood tests, neuro tests but to-date they've come up with nothing.  It is very frustrating, lonely and, at times, all consuming.  I don't remember what it feels like to feel normal!  I have read so many threads about different diseases, viruses and can attribute my symptoms to quite a few of them! Lymes being one of them and, it is found in the UK too (I think about 500 cases a year are diagnosed)  Sufficed to say, I am back at the GPs next week for yet more blood test results as I presented him with new symptoms last week, these being the pressure headache at base of skull, the visual disturbance (my vision actually slipped a couple of times which was weird) and a rash on my abdomen - red and round of varying sizes.  I really, really hope you get some resolution soon - wouldn't it be nice to hear "this is what's wrong with you" at least you could build on that and take steps to live with it and control it - not knowing the beast is frightening :-(
notonetomoan:
You said you had a rash on your abdomen, red and round, of varying sizes.

You need to look at this page of rashes, and see if yours resembles any of them.
http://www.canlyme.com/rash.html

I found my rash on this page, but many years after I had it.
I do have Lyme Disease.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
Hi Carol, thanks for the link.  I've had a look and my rash does sort of resemble a couple of the pictures.  My rash has sort of a red circumferance and is paler in the middle but has no central spot.  The largest spot is only about 2cm in diameter though.  When it's not flared up red, you can still see white discolouration on the skin very faintly.  Last time it flared up I did take a photo of it which I will take to my GP on weds when I go for the results of yet another blood test!