Neurology Community
Ongoing head pains

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Ongoing head pains

I posted this about a month ago, and got no response.

I've been having these weird head pains for the past two months. They're only on the left/back side of my head, and they usually only last a few seconds, though sometimes the pain lingers for up to an hour. I've also had just a lot of discomfort in my neck area. The head pains aren't crippling or anything -- they're mainly annoying, but I just hope they're not anything serious. It seems like the pain might be actually coming from my neck because I usually get them when I move my neck -- is that possible? I've also noticed that they get worse if I have to strain my eyes/when I'm on a computer. I never have the pains when I wake up in the morning -- it always happens later in the day.

Also, I've been seeing a LOT of eye floaters lately, mostly in my left eye. I went to the eye doctor last month, and she said everything looked normal. I heard that eye doctors would be able to tell if there might be a serious problem with my head -- like a brain tumor. Is that correct? Would they be able to tell, even if it was on the back of my head, where the pain is?

Basically, there are some days when I barely notice the pain, and other days where it's worse. Also, I had a complete blood count taken a few months ago, and that turned up normal too.

All the signs, it seems, are saying that there's nothing to worry about, but I'm still just curious as to what could be causing these head pains that have been lasting for a month now? I'm away from home for the summer, so it isn't that easy for me to just go in to the doctor for a check up.
Sorry no one caught your post before.  I can tell you that it sounds like two things are going on, both minor and easy to correct.  First is your head pain, and second is your eyes.  

I think you may have either wrenched your neck muscles somehow or there may be some arthritic bones in your neck.  Any pain there will radiate up into the head and cause it to hurt.  So, you should rub out the muscles in your neck every day and also do some very gentle stretching of your neck every day, to increase flexibility and strength.  Also, when you're sitting at the computer or reading, you should practice good posture and sit straight in your chair, preferably with a higher back.  When you lay down, I think you should have a solid foam pillow, you can get them at the better department stores, it will support your head better and thus not strain the neck so much.

Your eyes may be getting tired, either from work or reading a lot, so you should take a lot of breaks with your eyes and look out a window for a few minutes.  Also, you may need corrective glasses, but if your vision is okay, then you might want to buy some ordinary magnifying glasses at the drugstore and use them when you read.  Tired eyes can get a lot of floaters in there.  Also, enough Vitamin A will help vision, so eat carrots and sweet potatoes, for example, to help that along.