Neurology Expert Forum
Ossification of Posterior Longitudinal Ligament

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Any information on ossification of posterior longitudinal ligament would be greatly appreciated.  I am having surgery in January, 1999.  My doctor has gone through some of the specifics, but I was hoping for a little more.  Thanks.
________________
________________
Dear Gloria,
It is not uncommon for patients to develop ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament.  This is a benign process in the vast majority of patients that harbor this extra deposition of calcium.  It should be left alone unless it is causing compression on the nerve roots or the spinal cord, both of which are uncommon.  The bony ossification can, however, contribute to compression of nerve roots and the spinal cord when there is a herniated disc or an osteophyte present at the same level.  This is more common that the ligament itself causing symptoms.
Speak to your surgeon about the anatomy of your problem and his goals with surgery.  It is good to know that the ligament is calcified at surgery, but that is a technical issue for the surgeon to recognize.  Give him a call to settle your mind.
Good luck.