Neurology Community
PDPH

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

PDPH

I had an accidental lumbar puncture during an epidural injection. It has been a month and am still suffering a bad headache and nausea. I have had 2 blood patches. The most recent one 4 days ago in which 20ml of blood was used. I am really scared and don't know what to do. Is it possible that both blood patches failed? Please help me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Usually residual hole from the needle seals up on its own quickly but if it persists, cerebrospinal fluid leaks out into epidural space. The cerebrospinal fluid runs from the brain all the way down the spinal column within spinal cord, the stretch sensitive fascial and ligament structures cause pain and headache due to dilation of cerebral vessels.Treatment options are bed rest, hydration, pain medication, an epidural blood patch are the options. you must consult your neurologist for further advice continuing to keep the hydration good, NSAIDs and bed rest after 3 – 4 attempts at epidural blood patch. Caffeine may help constrict the vasodilated cerebral vessels and help symptomatically in the headache. Take care.

what is the recovery time of the bloodpatch?..is it possible that it worked and I am still have a headache due to the pressure building back up in my head?.. I am very concerned as I have been bed-resting and keeping very hydrated for over a month. Thank you for your comment it is very much appreciated.
How are you feeling today?