Neurology Community
PLEASE HELP DISABLING HEADACHE

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

PLEASE HELP DISABLING HEADACHE

I really need help please! I have had a pressure  headache for 7 days now. The headache is in the front of my head and temples all the way up to the top and on the back of my head and neck. It is associated with dizziness that comes and goes. Sometimes the dizziness is so bad it makes me queasy. The headache is constant and the pain ranges from a 3-7 at any point in the day.

It is disabling, I can barely function. I am only 22 years old, I HAVE DONE ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING I KNOW OF TO GET RID OF THE HEADACHE AND IT WILL NOT GO AWAY!!!!

I have had a similar headache caused by Birth control but it immediately went away after I stopped the birth control. I had a pregnancy test done and I am not pregnant.

My symptoms started as a low grade barely there headache 2 weeks before it got really bad, it would go away with Excedrin or Alieve quickly. Last Monday I laid down on the couch and within a few minutes had a throbbing pressure headache. I went to sleep and woke up with the headache. I took excedrin (WHICH ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME) and it did not go away. I went to the doctor the next day and he gave me Midrin. I took the Midrin for 3 days, it did not help what-so-ever. So, I slowly decreased the Midrin over the next couple days. I started to take full doses of Ibprofen, Tylenol and Asprin together thinking the amount in the Excedrin just wasn't working and that did not help. I have also put biofreeze and/or Head On on my neck and forehead/temples which helps a little. I have taken Sudafed Sinus Headache and that doesn't work. I have been diagnoised with Tension headaches in the past and given robaxin, which always works, but it hasn't done anything this time. I also have VERY LITTLE stress at this point in my life.  I started drinking gatorade to hydrate, that did not help. I have taken a couple walks and that has not helped.

I went to the ER yesterday and had a CT scan done and it was normal. The dr said that the next option would be a spinal tap, but it probably wasn't necessary b/c I wasn't running a fever and it was unlikely I had a brain hemorrhage (meaning the hemorrhage happened so long ago that it wouldn't be positive in the CT scan). I went back to the doctor today and he gave me Ferocet, which has helped with headaches in the past (when I had the headache from the Birth Control), but it didn't help this time. No blood work has been done. I had normal blood pressure, temperature and heart rate.

I called the doctor's office today and told them it wasn't helping that I needed to be referred to a neurologist and they haven't called me back today.

I REALLY need help, I was a normal functioning person until 7 days ago. I was exercising and eating well. Now I can barely make it through work. If anyone can give me advice it would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Bug the heck out of your Doctor for that referral.  DO NOT wait for a call back!!!  CT scans are great, but it sounds like an MRI is in order.  Get to a neurologist ASAP.  You have to be your own persistent advocate.

In the meantime, try 20 mg Percocet and a low dosage Valium.  When nothing else would help me, that is what worked.  Also, for immediate relief, have someone take you to the ER and get a shot of Promethazine, (for the stomach), and a 2 mg shot of Dilotid.