Neurology Community
PLEASE HELP MY CHILD

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

PLEASE HELP MY CHILD

HELLO TO ALL,my son is born of consanguinous marriage about 4 years back,it was a caesarian section and the baby weighed 4kgs.Baby cried and the was not so loud.The ANC care was uneventful,regular monthly check-ups were done and regular ultra sonography of the mother was done.My boy refused mothers milk from day 1,we went from pillar to post,he had sun-sign,my ife was sceened and the report said she is CMV positive,ANC torch was not advised by the then treating doctor,when baby was screened it was found then rubella igg or igm was reactive.my wife received antiviral drugs and my baby symtomatic treatment.My baby's CT showed porecephalic cyst on rt side without mass affect ,no midline shift,still my baby was refusing feeds ,my wife used to feed him focibly,my baby started losing his weight.Neurosurgens told porecephalic cyst is not responsible for baby's failure to thrive but pediatricians told the culprit is porecephalic cyst ,we were in the middle helplessly,mean while my baby developed corneal ulcer,we appraoched ophthalmologist who operated but the graft was rejected second surgery was done that also was a failure,still my boy is refusing feeds,now he is 4 years old weighing 10kgs,HC 52 cms.we both are doctors staying helplessly,plase please help my baby please help to get a proper diagnosis.........docram.........
Dear Docram,
I am sorry about your boy's health issues.  I am also sorry to tell you that I do believe he has congenital rubella syndrome, for which there is no cure, and it is a devastating illness.  Everything you say points to that unfortunate diagnosis, including your baby's failure to thrive, cataracts, and the brain malformation.  Many years ago this virus afflicted many people, so vaccines were developed to prevent it, thus the condition is rare today.  For more information about the disease, you can go to these websites:

www.hknc.org/Rubella.htm  (be sure to capitalize Rubella)
findarticles.com  (and type in the search rectangle "congenital rubella rehabilitation")

Hope this helps and God bless you and your family.
GG