Neurology Expert Forum
PN and twitching
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

PN and twitching

I am a 36 year old female diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis 7 months ago.  I was started on 10mg prednisone and 50mg Imuran in December and three months later changed to 5mg prednisone and 75mg Imuran.  Responding well to treatment.  I have had problems with all over muscle twitching (visible)for several months and periperal neuropathy (tingling, numbness, burning)that can occur anywhere, most often feet, hands and calves [this has been around a couple of years, but worsened after began meds].  MRI of brain, lumbar and thoracic spine normal.  Blood tests normal (HIV neg, CBC, metabolic panel, all other autoimmune screens(only ANA and ASMA positive...typical of AIH), hepatic panel, thyroid function).  Neurology exam (with NCV, no EMG) normal.

Q1:  Could the PN and/or twitching be due to the medication?  Can such low dose of prednisone cause muscle twitching...I have read that corticosteroids can cause this, but it seems mostly in high doses.  The twitching is all day, every day and randomly distributed.  

Q2: Not seemingly likely, but could there be an environmental cause?  My symptoms seem to be worse when I am at home...less severe when I am out of town for a few days.  This may be coincidence, not sure.  

Thanks!  Rebecca