Neurology Community
PTC and Altitude

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

PTC and Altitude

I have the diagnosis of PTC. I have been on a medicine called Methazolamide for the past year.  The most recent spinal opening pressure was still around 250 three weeks ago.  The symptoms of the PTC seem to be not getting worse, but also not getting better.  I have had to learn to use a number of helps (palm pilot, notes, notebook, etc) to write everything down I am supposed to do so I remember.  My biggest concern was losing the ability to learn new concepts and retain them.  It has been frustrating.  But, here is my presenting question:

I visited another town for a day.  It had a 3000 ft elevation increase.  After being there a few hours I started feeling quite ill with the presenting symptoms (confused thought, memory, tracking).  For the next two days I was still feeling the effects.  If Diamox which is used for treatment of PTC is also used for treatment of elevation sickness...what is the possible correlation between the conditions of PTC and altitude sickness?  Is the idea valid that the PTC can be induced or made worse by an increase in altitude?

This discussion is related to Pseudo Tumor Cerebi -Memory Loss.
Tags: PTC