Neurology Community
PTC and Birth Control

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

PTC and Birth Control

I was diagnosed with PTC years ago (around 5 or so).  I was on diamox for about a year and was taken off and have never had another problem.  At the time of diagnosis I was overweight, smoking and taking birth control.  I was told to lose weight stop smoking and stop taking the pill.  I did everything but losing the weight and again have never had another problem.  I have had two children and would like to try another form of birth control such as an IUD or Nuva Ring and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.  I am obviously going to talk to my doctor but the doctors I have spoke with so far have really not been able to give me a straight answer.  Thanks!
I have just recently been diagnosed with IIH and I have been on the Nuva Ring for 2 months. I have used Nuva Ring in the past but did not know that I had IIH. Once diagnosed I began to do the research and found that I needed to get off the birth control. I cannot give you a strait answer either but I hope what I say can help you make a decision for yourself. I started the Nuva Ring and coincidentally I began to have really bad symptoms of IIH. Can I say it was because of the Nuvaring, No because I did not pay attention enough nor did I know anything about IIH to know if the two were related. By now Im sure you know how Nuvaring works; Yesterday I was scheduled to take my ring out for the week. I will NOT be putting another in to see if it helps my symptoms.

I hope you are or were able to make a good decision that works for you.