Neurology Community
PTSD and seizures

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

PTSD and seizures

Hi my name is Luke and I am 24 years old and an Iraq veteran. I spent 4 years in the marines and have been out for about 3 years but have recently been afflicted with seizures, two in one day actually. This is the first time that I know of that I have ever had this issue so it is a bit alarming. I was put on keppra for the next year but I read on another ptsd related seizure post that for non epileptic seizures such as mine, anti seizure meds are pointless. I have come to find out that two of my old pals who had similar drinking habits have had problems with seizures since exiting the military. The circumstances surrounding the seizure were such that I had drank a moderate amount the night prior and pretty much woke up the next morning, got a tattoo, smoked a cig and drank a bottle oif water and then stood under bright lights in a cafeteria at my college with a friend...waiting nauseously for him to get his food and then lights out... I know this seems pretty common sense as to why the seizure happened, but as they say hindsight is always 20/20... my real "questions" are if there is any real observed correlation between "ptsd" (or related symptoms) and seizures, and what steps can be taken to avoid seizures absolutely and finally what things to avoid indefinitely.

This discussion is related to Connection between seizures and PTSD.
oh just a thought, the only thing i know of that can be related to seizures or similar symptoms that I have ever experienced were what I assumed were some sort of anxiety attack. It would occur when I would close my eyes sometimes before I would go to sleep I would feel as if I had an intense tunnel vision effect, where I felt as if objects were "whizzing" by my head...
Man, I have no eperience with PTSD or seizures, as I am not a doctor.  But I just wanted to say thanks for doing a job when your country needed you.  I hope you find relief soon.  See a Neurologist soon.  God bless you.
thank you for appreciation, we all have our burdens, however please only serious replies it's not that I don't appreciate the thanks but please... I would just like to figure this out.
There is no correlation with PTSD and siezures. Period. There is, however a correlation between some of the medications used by the VA to treat veteran's with PTSD and siezures. People respond to medications in different ways. Anyone can have a "siezure" under the proper circumstances. The "threshold" at which the brain signals the body to develop a soezure is affected by many things. Medications, lack of oxygen, and exposure to flashing or flickering lights. Generally speaking alcohol intake increases the probability of a siezure amongs those who are susceptible.

When your primary care physician at the VA prescribes you medications, before they are issued you must have a personal interview with a pharmacist. Write a written letter to your VA vacility suggesting a review of the possibility your meds may have contributed to your siezures.  Go to the VA and have the pharmacist review your meds (pointing out the fact you have had siezures), and you should look them up yourself in the PDR (Physician's desk reference).
Thank you for your informative answer! Well I was originally prescribed bupropion for anti-depression and ambien for a sleep aide but I was then taken off the sleep aide and switched to citalopram. I recently, within the last 6 months, took myself off of the celexa and i drink occasionally but not excessively anymore. I understand that the medication switch and then my decision to stop taking them add to the increased risk of seizure, alcohol lowers your threshold, as does sleep deprivation and stress. do you think I run the risk of continuing seizures?
If you don't mind me asking did you suffer a serious head injury while serving? Head injuries can cause a person to develop chronic seizures. Also are they sure your seizures are non epileptic? Have they done an EEG to rule out any abnormal electrical activity?
yes i had an eeg, ekg, cat scan and mri, they were all normal. I never suffered any serious tbi while serving, I had a minor concussion before serving but was pretty lucky while in to be honest. No serious injuries to report.