Neurology Community
Pain, stinging on thighs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain, stinging on thighs

Hello I have this ongoing pain or stinging feeling on the upper front of my thighs. It feels like sunburn, except when I slap the skin it goes away. The skin is normal in color and texture. The feeling migrates to the top of my left foot occasionally. It feels like a torch or acid being poured on my skin. I have been tested for all kinds of diseases. The Dermatologist, urologist, gastro enternologist , allergist and primary doctor are just guessing.
The feeling is never there when sleeping. It bothers me the most when sitting. Occasionally when walking.
Anyone?
Have you seen a Nuero--I have the same issue at times and have been told its Post Viral--However not sold on this, What have the Docs that you have seen told you--Have you had your Vit D and B-12 Tested??
Yes I had both tested.
The doctors don't know what it is. I either hear that it's in my head or that it's stress.
The typical answer when the doctors don't know!
did the Rx you with anything??
The only scripts I took were from a dermatologist. They made my skin red and burn worse. Then it itched bad. I stopped using the steroid cream and the itching went away. The skin still burns. I was given a script for diflucan. That made the area in question break out in a horrible rash. which made me think it must be something fungal inside my skin.
Did your stinging resolve??
Have you had your back X-ray or MRI?
Hi, I've had this burning sensation for almost 3 years now. Mine started on my left thigh only, then the condition began to jump around my entire body. I know two things about this condition which my Dr. refers to as parathesis and that is, it points to some sort of neruro disease and that my Vitamin D level was almost nil. Mine does not hurt or cause pain in anyway but boy is it annoying. It moves anywhere. I have lots of other symptoms as well from low body temperature, to soft finger nails that hardly grow to extreme weight gain and I have an itchy back. But it started out as a burning sensation on my left thigh. Some days the right side of my head feels so heavy I don't think my neck can hold it up (the longer I am undiagnososed the more new things pop up!), good luck! I have had an mri and the only thing that showed up was plaque in the sleep sector of my brain. NO MS, or Lupus or anything else like that, thankfully.
Did you have all the other Neuro type testing--EEG, LP, Etc--Has the Nuero given you any other advise other than a condtion??
P.S. Did Nuero say what kind of Disease??
I am currently having similar symptoms. I have a burning sensation on/in the skin similar to sunburn on the tops of my feet, shins and calves, tops of my hands and undrside of my arms. The sensation is like a mild sunburn and seems to be accompanied by an increased stiffness in my leg muscles. I am 45 and this stiffness has come on quite suddenly. I am currently giving up smoking (2 months) and am using a occasional nicotine replacement lozenge to help relieve the cravings. I recall having similar symptoms about a year ago when i tried to quit (using patches). I have read in this forum that anxiety can cause these symptoms and last year my smoking withdrawal/treatment did seem to increase my stress at the time which lead to a severe panic attack but i am still not sure what caused what. I am a little stressed sometimes due to smoking withdrawal at the moment but not too severe and i am not convinced this is causing skin sensations.

I am currently having a second round of blood tests to see if they can find anything, and the doc will refer me to a neurologist if the pain persists. He did recomend i try Champix for the smoking and suggested that this may also have the effect of making me calmer but i have read of some (possibly unfounded) side effects which has lead me to hold off for now.
You are not alone. I developed a gradual pain behind my thighs that travelled to both legs. I've been dealing this close to 2 years. The burning/hurting pain is unbearable. I'm constantly shifting around and standing to minimize the pain. You can see my profile. I have various other neuro symptoms with equivocal dx for Lyme, Viral and Chronic migraine.  I'm taking Gabapentin which has minimal benefit for the pain.
Did you have the LP and MRIs Is your Neuro treating the symptoms of Lyme or what?