Neurology Community
Pain 2 years after neck fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain 2 years after neck fusion

2 Years ago I had neck fusion C5-C6.
Since then, I had some mussels spazm, or little discomfort. Just yesterday trying to get out of the bathtub I heard cranchy noise in my neck, and can't move my head since then. Today is little better, but the pain is still there, and also weakness in my right arm. I don't want to panic, and just try to rest. My husband got soft collar at Walgreens, andthis helps with discomfort, but I'm little scare, because it reminds me of my previous pain, before surgery. Currently I don't have any health insiurance, so this is even more scary, that I can't check this out, and do MRI. Any suggestions? Is this normal, after the surgery?

I'm sorry to hear of your new pain.  I had ACDF C5-7 on 6/22/06 and can sympathize with what you are going through.  Before deciding on surgery, I found out all I could to make sure I was making an informed decision.  Unfortunately, many people who go through ACDF surgery experience what they call the dominoe effect, and my Spinal OS even let me know that there was a good chance that within 5-10 years I would have to have C3/4 fused since it's only slightly less herniated than C5-7.  Once a level is fused, the levels above and below the fusion now take more of a load during flexion and extension which can accelerate degenration of those levels.  I don't want to scare you in any way, but you may have to consider a new MRI to make sure that you have not herniated the a disc above or below your fusion.  You might want to check a dermatome chart to see if your pains correlate to a certain level which might give you a better idea of which nerves are being affected.  The facet hypertrophy can also cause pain.  You can find a dermatome chart at http://www.apparelyzed.com/dermatome.html

I hope this helps and I wish you the best!

Kim