Neurology Community
Pain 2 years post LP? Nerve damage?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain 2 years post LP? Nerve damage?

I am female, 22 years old. Sorry if this is long!

In August 2010, I had an incident where I smacked my head off a shelf in a store and ended up with a concussion which included very minor loss of consciousness (like 10 seconds), nosebleed, and confusion (couldn't remember where I was, thought I was somewhere else, etc) and the usual dizziness, etc that is associated with moderate concussion. Because I have had so many concussions in my life (really really clumsy! I get like one a year at least :S), they were concerned and decided to do a lumbar puncture. They couldn't any fluid, so the doctor (a specialist apparently) ended up getting so frustrated and stubborn that I ended up with at least 12 puncture marks (I think some were freezing and some were ones that missed the mark and didn't go in fully but still)! Though to be fair, I was really confused so maybe it just seemed like that many lol.

About the 3rd time, he jammed the needle rougly and hit a certain spot that caused extreme pain in my hip/side and made my leg actually kick out on its own. I told them it really hurt, but he said it was just a nerve, and kept going. The other doctor almost yelled at him to stop and then kinda acted embarrassed and said "I think that is enough.." Anyway, they decided it was probably because I have a compressed disc in that space which made it too hard to get into (I slipped a disc a few years before this).

I'm not the suing type so that's not what this is about but I can't help but feel something went wrong! It seemed really excessive and one of the doctors agreed he should have stopped way before. Is it possible that he damaged the nerve permanently or can it still heal?

It doesn't bother me all the time, but I have a really difficult time running, stretching my legs outward, or doing any weight bearing like a leg press. I have tried to improve my fitness and I am in ok shape (BMI about 19) so its not from being overweight... I just can't do certain exercises or get over my plateau because I get extreme stabbing and aching pains in my hip during and after. It also effects my personal life in other ways... maybe too personal to mention, lol. Sometimes it just aches for no apparent reason or I get a pulling sensation that starts just below my waist line all the way toward the groin. I never had hip pain before this incident. I hate taking pills and ibuprofen is too hard on my stomach so I usually just deal with it and avoid things, but I want to get in better shape.

I also now have an abnormal gait wherein my legs tip inwards at the ankle and make walking very long distances, running, and skating next to impossible. I think this could be genetic though. Could this be related though?

Can this all be related to the LP? Can I fix it in any way or do certain exercises to help? Will it go away in time or is two years too long for change?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum. There is a known incidence of nerve injury during the procedure, but it is rare and not severe. There could be trauma to spinal cord or spinal nerve roots during the lumbar puncture. What is the status of the prolapsed or slipped disc in the back that you made mention of?  I suggest that you consult a neurologist and pursue check up of your spine. MRI cervical and lumbar spine would reveal any disc herniation, spinal canal stenosis and nerve root compression or pinched nerves. You might be missing something important and immediate intervention may be required. Wishing you all the best.