Neurology Community
Pain In Calf When Walking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain In Calf When Walking

Hi, I was just looking for help on a pretty debilitating pain I get in my calf when I walk. After approximately 10 minutes (can vary day to day) of casual walking I experience a burning sensation on the lower side of my right calf which intensifies as I continue walking until I can't walk any more. The pain is very localised and seems to originate from one particular spot. Once I stop walking and rest I notice my lower leg is very pale and swollen and the ache continues for at least half an hour. I also often experience numbness in my lower calf and foot. I have had this for almost five years now and I know I should have asked for medical advice sooner but I thought it was due to lack of exercise. However, in the past year I have significantly increased the distance I walk daily and it has no effect. In fact, the more I walk the worse it seems to get. There are some days where I can walk a long distance and experience no pain what so ever. This makes me think it could be due to the way I walk and the structure of my ankle. I have noticed my feet point outwards quite a bit. I should also mention that I'm 23 and walk 2-3 miles a day (not very much, I know).

Sorry for the long post and I'm grateful for any advice I receive before going to see my GP.

Thanks,
Phil
There are two possibilities:

(1) Rule out sciatica, which would involve having an MRI of the lumbar regions of the spine L1-L5

(2) Rule out intermittant claudication, which would involve a dopplar of the leg, a simple inexpensive non-invasive procedure to evaluate the circulatory status within the leg. You are a bit young for this problem, however there are often co-factors involved, so this should be considered.

Hi...have u gotten new shoes?...or tried a diff style?

The symptoms can be shin splints...do talk to ur Dr about this possibility...it can be an easy fix.