Neurology Community
Pain Radiating from Neck to Head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain Radiating from Neck to Head

I am a competitive tennis player.  I have had issues with shooting pain (like a shock of pain) that radiates from the back of my neck to my head.  I can only describe it as "little explosions" of pain.  Sometimes, this pain causes me to go to the ground (almost like I have lost function for a split second).  Also, I always feel confused afterwards and my head and neck tingles.  It takes me a while to get my focus back and continue to play tennis.  

It always occurs when I am hitting a forehand.  I am doing a twisting motion back and then forward (it is a very fast and violent motion).  It doesn't happen all of the time...but I have noticed that it is happening more frequently as I get older.    

I have asked my General Physician about it and he just looks at me oddly.  I don't think he knows what it is.  Someone else said it is just a Pinched Nerve going off in my neck.   I thought it might be some sort of whip-lash....but was told that it wasn't.

It does worry me.  So I am wondering if someone on this board has come across this type of injury(?) before.

Thanks in advance.
Tags: head, Neck
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. These symptoms are suggestive of a cervical disc degeneration or prolapsed, cervical spondylolisthesis, or old trauma to the neck. You need a neurologist to examine you in detail and a cervical MRI SCAN to confirm or rule out these conditions. If confirmed, diagnosis would include pain killers, physiotherapy, epidural steroid injections under fluoroscopy. Decompressive surgery is the last resort. Hope this helps. Take care.

Avatar_dr_f_tn

Thank you so much for commenting on this.  I will schedule an appointment with a Neurologist, so he/she can make a diagnosis.  

I did have a neck injury when I was a child.
i just wanted to ask are you a famous tennis player??????
i hope ur problems go away soon!! :)
Nope...not a famous tennis player.  Just an aging tennis player that still plays local tournaments and leagues.  My highest level reached was only 5.5 (6.0 & up is a satellite player....professional tennis players are above the charts).  

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
I wanted to check back in.  I saw a Neurologist, who set up an MRI.  The results of the MRI showed "Disc Protrusions".  She said the spine looked fine, but wants to set up an EMG Test to check the affect of the protusions on my Nerves (she mentioned carpal tunnel).  

She said that most likely the protusions are the result of a neck injury or manual labor.  I would think a sport could be considered manual labor.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the post. The bulging discs could be the result of strain injury during sports activity that you have been associated with. electromyogram will record the electrical activity of muscles. Active muscles produce an electric current, which is proportional to the level of muscle activity. It can detect abnormal electrical activity of muscle including muscular dystrophy, inflammation of muscles, pinched nerves, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and disc herniation.
Hope this helps. Take care.
The EMG Test came back normal.  She said that it appears that the bulging discs are not affecting my nerves.  She recommended going back to my General Physician for therapy.

It is good news, but I still don't have an answer to my questions.  I guess it is one more thing I have to live with.