Neurology Expert Forum
Pain/Sensation in Armpit

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain/Sensation in Armpit

I hope you can help me...I've had an ongoing pain in my armpit for over 4 months now.  It comes and goes and I haven't notices any pattern as to when it starts-up.  I get a horrible sensation down my left side and sometimes my left arm has this nagging ache.  I've also had other symptoms and they may be connected, I get night sweats on and off and very tired some days.  I did notice that when I drank alcohol it would sometimes bother me but now it has appeared again and I can't narrow it down to anything.  It hurts when I grab under my arm more towards the top of my chest, it seems to be a little swollen...please reply because I'm very anxious at this stage!
Dear N. Manning:

It is difficult to tell what may be going on.  What does your physician thing is going on?  The night sweats is not a normal occurance, have you always had this or is this recent (since the arm pit pain).  If the pain worsens with movement or coughing then it might suggest that it is a cervical cord problem, if you had a recent viral illness, you might have Parsonnage-Turner syndrome, the fact that you have a swollen lymph node might suggest a isolated myositits.  As you can tell the possibilities are almost endless.  Without doing the exam and seeing the previous lab workup, your symptoms are too non-specific to make a diagnosis over the internet.  I would suggest seeing a neurologist.  

Sorry, I wasn't much help.

CCF Neuro MD
Dear N Manning

I have had the same pains in both armpits . The problem
   was four blocages in my arterys supplying my heart. Every time
   i did heavy working igot out of breath and it would some time
   bring on this pain in the armpit. I had heart bypass  and i
   feel fine now  no more problems .  I am not trying to scare
   you but see a doctor and get a stress test .

Hope I,ve helped

P S The doctor thaught my armpit pain was rare but not unheard
   off .

thanks for the comments.

CCF Neuro MD