Neurology Expert Forum
Pain after Blood Test

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain after Blood Test

Two weeks ago I was having blood drawn from my elbow crease.  I have had loads of blood tests and it was difficult for the nurse to get a vein, and on one of the tries she put the needle in and I felt an explosion run down my arm into my hand.  I have never had this from a blood test before.  She wasn't concerned, so neither was I.  But now, though the site of the blood draw does not hurt, my wrist really does!  There is a patch of numbish skin (like when a dental anaesthetic is wearing off) from the outside of my wrist all along to my thumb and first finger.  Tapping on my hand (like when setting down a coffee cup) really hurts this patch of strange sensation.  Stretching out my arm is very painful, and if I press on the the site of the blood draw with a finger, the whole right side of my left hand goes number.  When I release it, it goes back to normal (though the numbish part remains.  Is this something that will go away?  I don't really want to make a fuss but it's quite annoying as I am in a wheelchair and it is somewhat affecting my mobility!  I am also 6 months pregnant so don't really want to be taking more medicine, I take painkillers already for other conditions.
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I’m sorry to hear about the symptoms that you are experiencing.  You may have suffered an injury to your median or radial nerve during your blood draw.  Contact with these nerves is possible when placing an IV or drawing blood at the elbow.  It is difficult to predict the extent of injury, and how much sensation will be recovered.  It may take some time for you to see improvement, and there may be residual numbness.  Treatment is aimed at managing your pain symptoms.  There are several medications available for specifically treating neuropathic pain.

I would recommend seeing a neurologist in order to receive a diagnosis.  If your symptoms do represent a nerve injury, a neurologist may be able to help you with treating your pain symptoms.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.