Neurology Expert Forum
Pain after wisdom teeth extraction

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain after wisdom teeth extraction
I had my 2 upper and 1 lower right wisdom teeth removed over 3 weeks ago.  After the surgery I immediately had excruciating pain on the right side of my face (ear, temple, sinus/cheek, jaw, throat, back of head, back of neck).  I was treated for migraines, but that didn't work. I am currently taking Neurontin, Toradol and Flexeril.  This combination is helping the pain.  When the meds wear off, you can actually see the muscles in that area twitch and the right side of my mouth droops.  I have not had a diagnosis yet, they are simply treating my symptoms.  Do you know what this could be, will it be permanant?  Also, if I see a neurologist, what tests can show nerve or muscle damage?  I am desperate to resolve this, the pain is excruciating.  Thanks.
The symptoms may be secondary to trigeminal neuralgia. The trigeminal nerve supplies sensation to the face. After surgical procedures on the face or teeth this nerve can sometimes become irritated. This results is severe lacinating pain. This condition is typically treated with anti-epileptics such as carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, or gabapentin (Neurontin). You should discuss this possibility with the neurologist.

Regarding testing, an EMG (muscle/nerve test) can be done on facial muscles, but it is very limited. I would see what the neurologist finds first and then proceed with testing. Good luck.
Additional info - I was also told that my bite had shifted significantly from the wisdom teeth removal so my dentist adjusted my bite twice by grounding down my upper and lower teeth. I have also been fit for a bite guard because I tend to clench my jaw at night. The pain I have is constant, stabbing and aching.
Rachaelgrand,

You may want to look into TMJ (Temporal Mandibular Joint Dysfunction).  Sometimes when we remove something like a wisdom tooth, the other teeth shift and then the upper and lower jaw become misaligned.  This misalignment stresses the mandibular joint which can cause an array of symtpoms such as pins and needles along the face, ringing in the ears, pain in the ears, pain on top of and behind the head, eye pain and temporal pain to name a few.  It's an excruciating condition that needs attention. I would see someone who specializes in TM disorders.

Neurologists are well trained in what they do but this is something they will NOT be able to help you with. Gaurantee!

Crusher
A related discussion, Pain After Wisdom Tooth Removal was started.
A related discussion, Pain in the left eye and jaw was started.