Neurology Community
Pain and discomfort that has just destroyed my life

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello, im Adam im 24 years old. talk about a story thatll blow your mind.

About a year ago i woke up one morning from drinking with a slight burning sensation in my urethra, my doctor put me on antibiotics and a week or so later it was accompanied by a burning pain in my hands and feet - my hands and feet would also turn red a look a bit inflamed. i went to a urologist who after testing me for gonorhea and chlamydia said it was not that and diagnosed me with prostatitis. i was on cipro for a month and a half, the z pac, amox, doryx, the works. Nothing helped. fall came and i started noticing more hair then usual was falling out of my head. just running my hands through my hair i would find a bunch on my hand. i started noticing a severe lack of energy which continued into bad headaches that would last days. i also noticed that drinking alcohol, caffeine would make the prostatitis worse, so i cut these out of my life. winter came and the symptoms stayed the same i was off antibiotics as they didnt seem to work and it all continued into spring. i started noticing that my semen was now a yellowish color and seemed very watery. my urologist said it was probably the prostatitis. in spring i finally got a cystascope done by my urologist. This came back normal. he said my back was very tense and tried me on serveral different muscle relaxers thinking maybe muscle spasms were the cause of my urethral pain, burning hands and feet and NOW low back and buttocks pain. after no help with these meds he went to something drastic and gave me phenobarbital as it is an anti convulsant not just used for seizure patients. i took this 3 times and on the third day of taking it my chest felt like it was collapsing, i had intense left side chest pain followed by left arm numbness and an EXTREME pressure headache. i was rushed to the ER chest xray and ekg were fine, they did a sonogram of my gallbladder - fine. so they sent me home saying it was a reaction to the drugs and i thought nothing of it. next day i woke up and half way through the day noticed the same sort of pain which lingered for 4-5 hours. then went away, sunday i woke up felt a bit weak but ok most of the day went out and had a few drinks, woke up monday with tremedous pressure in chest and head. left side chest pain and arm weakness - almost like i had to tell my arm to do certain things twice before it would. This lasted all day and night and i went to bed. woke up tuesday and noticed no improvement - lasted all day and got home from work and collapsed on the ground with so much pressure in my head i thought i was going to die. chest pressure/esophageal pressure came along with it and it was as if i could hear poprock type sensations in the back of my head like something was trying to get through. went to the ER they did chest xray, ekg  - normal. my head pressure now included major dizziness and my eyes became blood shot red. the doc jacked me up with pain killers  and sent me home after 7 hours of no relief. ridiculous right? since then i have been to a rheumatologist whom thought i had RA - but i tested negative and he wouldnt see me again. went to a spinal specialist whom did an mri on just me neck and it showed minor buldging discs but nothing that would effect me this way. i havent been back to see him. i got an EMG test done for neuropathy at a neurologist and passed that - he gave me amitriptyline and sent me on my way. this just made me dopey and woke me up with palps in the middle of the night. i went to a cardiologist wore a holter monitor and had an electrocardiogram and stress test....he noticed some etra beats and a vessel that was no longer working but was benign...sent me on my way. thought my palps were esophageal. i had an upper GI done (not the scope which my parents want me to get done since i do suffer from acid reflux) and this was normal. i have a brain mri on monday - i hope this shows something as nothing seems to have gotten better. i know this was long but i pray someone can help me because im now starting to get anxiety about all this, and depressed. i went from being a carefree 23 yr old to someone who struggles to get through each day. its 4 pm on a saturday and i just got out of bed due to all the head pressure.

mysymptoms as of now are as follows :

dizziness almost all the time
head pressure (like something is blocked) isnt helped by tylenol, pain killers, anything.
esophageal spasms that feel like heart palps.
watery yellow semen.
pain in urethra
burning sensation in hands and feet
chest pain, weakness
lack of energy
all over weakness
anxiety
the pressure in head seems to come from mid back where it sometimes seems to burn on each side of the spine
hair loss
sometimes its hard to swallow
alot of pressure up at the top of the esophagus and diaphragm area

- working out makes things worse as the ehad pressure gets worse
- drinking makes it worse

flexeril is about the only thing that helps at all. but this is temporary
tried anti anxiety meds didnt do much
worst part is docs cant figure it out
been tested for : hiv, gon, chlamydia, checked my ana, checked for underactive thyroid, degenerative disc diseases, hlab27, checked for b-12 def.

what could this be? i wish there was a doctor house out there i could use him about now. im falling apart worse by the day. sorry for the length of this, i dont know what else to do. if someone can help me i WILL help everyong with these symptoms. i need my life back. my family/gf are worried. i am a disaster and work is starting to notice.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Adam, I read your detailed development and progression of symptoms and though you have tried to say many things and been to many specialists, I think you need to consult a neurologist to rule out multiple sclerosis, a chronic demyelinating disorder where the disease phase is characterized by active phase and remissions. It has multiple symptoms and signs and is a diagnosis of exclusion. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. The treatment is essentially limited to symptomatic therapy so the course of action would not change much whether MS has been diagnosed or not. Apart from clinical neurological examination, MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination, two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain locations. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons, transmit nerve signals slower than non-demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI in addition, a spinal tap. Therefore, it would be prudent to consult your neurologist with these concerns. Hope this helps. Take care.

Anyone?
Do you notice the symptoms more after you've had a few drinks or is it all the time? if it's after drinking, maybe you have a gluten allergy.
Good luck!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

THank you both for your input.  Dr. Sharma, i have been seeing a neurologist whom has given me a brain MRI and found a lesion on my left ventricular corona radiata. She has said that she believes it was a stroke from when i was young but does not see much other sign of MS - do you think i should move forward and get a spinal MRI? what should i tell her the next step should be? because exactly what you just said has been my fear. and has come up in conversations with the doctor. i dont know what my next step should be. they put me on celexa and i was up all night with palps...thenblacked out in the morning in a cold sweat which my cardiologist thinks was a vegal response and told me not to take the drug. since i have been taking klonopin. it helps with some of the systems accept the feet burning all day. but makes me tired and some days irritable.

Stacker - it seems to be all the time - but gets worse the days after drinking.

the burning in the feet gets worse after my first couple of beers then tends to just fade. i would like to note that i do not get anyth stomach pain however during drinking which i would have thought would suggest a gluten allergy.

once again thank you both SOOO MUCH!!!
Dr,

any further input on this? they have seemed to rule out MS.

my biggest concerns are the pressure in my head (not a headache) that causes blurred vision and chest pressure and left side upper back and shoulder pain that can last all day.

please let me know if theres anything else you cant think of

Adam