Neurology Community
Pain and swelling in little and ring fingers
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pain and swelling in little and ring fingers

In mid-January out of the clear blue I started getting pain and swelling in both hands and primarily in my ring and little finger at night when sleeping.  The pain wakes me at night.  By morning, my little fingers will be 'locked'  in a bent position.  I can straighten it, but it is very painful.  The swelling (throughout both hands) and some pain remain all day long.

My doctor did a CBC, and rheumatoid factor test and nothing outstanding showed up, except my hemoglobin is on the low side (even though I take a vitamin B complex daily!).  My Sed Rate is high (this time 39) but that seems to be common for me as it has always been high for years, as high as 51 at times.  So the doctor assumes this is osteoarthritus.  

I just don't buy that.  I have a bit of arthritius in my knees for years, and off and on my knees ache, often during rain storms, etc.  This pain in my hands has been constant, has not changed in the several months - neither worsened nor improved, inspite of trying to sleep in different positions.  I believe it is a sympton of something else.  My chiropractor believes it is carpel tunnel syndrome ... which makes some sense (I work on computers all day for 30 years) ... but why would this come on 'overnight' with no previous symptons??  The chiro treated my wrists and 'tests' the carpel tunnel by trying to pull apart my thumb when pressing it against my small finger ... and before treatment it is very weak.  I have been trying wrists braces, but so far they don't seem to alter anything.

What can cause this?  It seems like very definite symptoms of something, which I'd like to catch early before any (or any more) real physical harm.