Pain and swelling in little and ring fingers
In mid-January out of the clear blue I started getting pain and swelling in both hands and primarily in my ring and little finger at night when sleeping.  The pain wakes me at night.  By morning, my little fingers will be 'locked'  in a bent position.  I can straighten it, but it is very painful.  The swelling (throughout both hands) and some pain remain all day long.

My doctor did a CBC, and rheumatoid factor test and nothing outstanding showed up, except my hemoglobin is on the low side (even though I take a vitamin B complex daily!).  My Sed Rate is high (this time 39) but that seems to be common for me as it has always been high for years, as high as 51 at times.  So the doctor assumes this is osteoarthritus.  

I just don't buy that.  I have a bit of arthritius in my knees for years, and off and on my knees ache, often during rain storms, etc.  This pain in my hands has been constant, has not changed in the several months - neither worsened nor improved, inspite of trying to sleep in different positions.  I believe it is a sympton of something else.  My chiropractor believes it is carpel tunnel syndrome ... which makes some sense (I work on computers all day for 30 years) ... but why would this come on 'overnight' with no previous symptons??  The chiro treated my wrists and 'tests' the carpel tunnel by trying to pull apart my thumb when pressing it against my small finger ... and before treatment it is very weak.  I have been trying wrists braces, but so far they don't seem to alter anything.

What can cause this?  It seems like very definite symptoms of something, which I'd like to catch early before any (or any more) real physical harm.
Hi, probably this is ulnar nerve entrapment at the level of elbow joint which is causing numbness. Please get yourself investigated for that and do consult neurosurgeon.

“Compression at the elbow, known as cubital tunnel syndrome, causes numbness in the small finger, half of the ring finger, and the back half of the hand over the small finger. Initially, the numbness is transient and usually occurs in the middle of the night or in the morning. Most cases will be minor and tend to come and go with time. Common causes are sleeping with the arm folded up, so the hand is at the person's neck and the elbow is sharply bent. These people frequently wake up with tingling in the fingers, because the nerve has been pinched or squeezed while asleep”. Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve_entrapment