Neurology Community
Pain/burning in palm and fingers of right hand/arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am desperately searching  for answers for a set of symptoms.  Saw a neurologist about 2 yrs. ago for severe burning sensation predominantly in my right palm, and aching in palm and arm.  After seeing the neurologist he found I also had a loss of sensation in my left, but predominantly my right, foot and shin area, where I failed to recognize any of the sharp pin pricks on the top of my foot and shin.  In addition, he noted weakness in my right foot (this made me realize why I stumbled rather often!) and hand/arm (he had me put each arm behind my back and pushed against it - I had almost no resistance in my right arm and didn't even realize it until that time).  After having many blood tests including glucose tolerance, heavy metals, lupus, etc., electrophoresis, and an MRI of the neck, he determined radiculopathy and peripheral neuropathy - unknown, and ordered a stronger anti-inflamatory and occupational therapy.  Neither helped. Recently the pain in my arm and burning, swelling, and pain in my hand got so bad I was unable to open a screw top or use a can opener, write my name or lift anything, that while at a doctor's appointment with my daughter I begged him to see me.  He noted a strong red rash across my cheeks and nose and did some blood work which turned out ANR +, and prescribed 20 mg. prednisone 3x day which seemed to be a miracle drug for me,  and sent me to a rheumatologist.  This doctor looked at the blood work and said the ANR was not positive enough for lupus, discontinued the prednisone much to my dismay, and prescribed Lyrica.  After weeks on Lyrica and a promising beginning, it does not help and I think the initial relief was probably still from the prednisone.  At this point I'm beginning to think the doctors may think it's all in my head, and I'm beginning to think I'm 1. crazy, or 2. going to have this pain indefinitely.  Can you please offer some insight?  It took me over an hour just to be able to type this due to the pain and burning in my hands.  Oh, and just for fun, I also have clumps of eyelashes that fall out periodically after feeling like little pins poking into my eyelids and leaving them nearly bald - and no, I don't pull them - or any other hair - from stress as I've been asked for more than 15 years).  Thank you so very much for any help you can give me.