Neurology Community
Pain from wearing socks
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pain from wearing socks

I have been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, probably as a result of my celiac disease.  My pain in my feet and ankles has recently gotten worse so that wearing socks is very uncomfortable.  I am hoping that this is a temporary setback like some I've had in the past where the symptoms get better over time with rest.  I'm hoping that I can get back into wearing socks.  Other than rest, would my best approach be to:  (1) immediately begin increasing my time wearing socks a little each day to build up my time wearing them or (2) treat this more like a sprained ankle and not wear socks AT ALL until the pain in my feet and ankles has improved?  

Approach 1 would be based on the assumption that the longer I go without wearing socks, the more likely it will be that my nerves will become iritated when I put them back on.  Approach 2 would be based on the assumption that putting socks on during this setback would just irritate the nerves more than they are already irritated and prolong the setback.
Related Discussions
144586_tn?1284669764
Sometimes this gets better. Sometimes it doesn't. I would avoid wearing dark socks and switch to white socks that can be disinfected with chlorox. White socks can be disinfected and are less likely to habor bacteria that inflame the feet. As to recovery from the neuropathy keep close control over your blood sugars. There is some anedcodal evidence that naturopathic treatments enable the nerves to generate. Blueberrys for example. And pomegranate juice. And certain anti-oxidents including omega-3 supplements to improve peripheral circulation. Do a google search. You are correct in the assumption that irritating the nerves will prolong recovery. As you have noted the symptoms often get better over time. Your question is a good one.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...