Neurology Expert Forum
Pain in Right side of body

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain in Right side of body

I have had chronic shoulder pain with onsets of back and arm
pain all on the right side. There is also neck pain and numbness
in three fingers of my right hand (from the pinky over). The shoulder pain gets worse with sitting or standing and any activity with my right hand or arm. I get frequent, sudden
headaches that often leave as quick as they come. I have noticed
swelling in the back of my head where the spine stops(also on
the right  side) This area is tender. I have started having
pain in my right leg ( only twice but the same kind of pain
as in my shoulder). I had an MRI of the Cervical spine and
right shoulder and all that was found is mild tendinitis. This
has been going on for 8months-1 year and getting worse.
I also had an EMG of the shoulder, arm and neck area and
irritation was found and some nerve damage to the nerve that
runs down the back of my arm. I have also been having some
memory loss and moments of confusion (having to stop and
think of where I am and what I am supposed to be doing)
What could be  the cause of this? It has been suggested that
I start physical therapy but I am afraid to because there
has been no diagnosis yet. Thank you for any advice that
you may beable to give me.
God Bless You.
Patty
Dear Patty:

It is difficult to tie all your symptoms into a single etiology.  The fact that your MRI was normal is good, but it does make a diagnosis of a spinal cord lesion problematic.  Did the EMG indicate an entrappment of your ulnar nerve?  Do you have a systemic illness such as lupus?  Are you in otherwise good health, no diabetes, do not drink alcohol, smoke, drugs, etc?  I am afraid I am not much of a help.  I don't have the opportunity to physically examine you and that really limits my diagnosis.  I think I would gather up all your workup done thus far and see if a fresh set of eyes can maybe come up with something.  I would get a second opinion.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
What is the deal with Aggrenox? Is it better than aspirin for preventing stroke?
I have been having some strange but not sever symptoms.I just got over sinusitus on my right side. I had it for several months before getting antibiotics.  Then out of the blue i got numbish weak feeling down right side of face arm right leg. Then a pain under my right shoulder blade and short of breath.  When this leaves my muscles are stiff and ache. I had some blured vision and hard time focusing my eye gets stiff feeling. Also get a bubble feel in my right ear and stiff neck.. I just had an mri to see if i maybe having a stroke waiting on results. One doc thinks its stroke and the first thing neuologist said is stress.
I feel like a hypocondriac But i know what i feel and its real.
Now question.  When you have an open head mri.  Does it make your muscles jump.  I got spasms in my right cheek only during the test it just went crazy at different times during the test. From my eye down my right check. Does this happen or was it just NERVES?
Dear Terry:

Sorry to hear about your problems.  First, an open MRI is very non-sensitive and resolution is poor.  This is because the strength of the magnet is so weak compared to the normal MRI machines.  So, the results of a minor stroke or nerve problem can be missed.  Since the MRI uses radiowaves, it is highly unikely that the reason for your muscle jerks were from the MRI.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I got my tests back today and the mri was neg. and my cordid artery test neg and my echocadiogram neg.  
The Doctor said TIA and to take an asprin.
My problem and i asked him is why im still having symptoms of aching around eye. I have to go to bathroom constantly all night.
My muscles in backs of legs ache and in my shoulders. Since the two episodes of numbishness. I had numbness in my lips and chin which all go away was this another tia. At first i question ms and the doctor said if it was ms with the symptoms im discribing it would have shown up on the mri.  The only other thing that i wondered about is lyme disease. We was working on our land all summer and i did find a tick that was attached and another crawled out of my hair.  However i never remember having rash. Altho i had poision ivy rash on me twice so i may have had a rash and didnt know it. I'm embarrassed to ask anymore doctors im afraid they think im looking for a reason to be sick. But i know how i feel and im so tired all the time having trouble thinking remembering stupid stuff like my sons phone number i know by heart. This sounds so goofy and its so embarressing i had no blood tests should i and what if i get someone else who dont understand.  I have no insurance and this hunt and seek is expensive.  Thank you sorry so long.
Im sorry i just realized im posting wrong.
I had a spinal fusionin 1997, when I was 21 years old.  Unfortunately I am going back in for surgery again at 23 years of age.  I am know having cages put in this time, hoping the surgery will work.  I have constant burning in my right hip, buttocks, and leg.  I hope by doing this surgery everything will be better.
Dear Tiffany:

I hope that your surgery goes well.  I wish that we could fix the problems that you'all seem to have with the spinal cord.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
A related discussion, right side chronic pain associated with tremors. was started.
A related discussion, pain on my right, arm, thigh, and feet was started.