Neurology Expert Forum
Pain in ankles, shins, wrists, etc.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain in ankles, shins, wrists, etc.

I am a 33 years old male who happens to be a Kidney transplant recipient. I have just recently fought off a 3 week battle with Pneumonia and my blood work shows that all of my numbers are back in line.  The problem is that now I have excruciating pain that shoots through and lingers in my ankles, wrists, shins and neck. These pains came on about a week after the pneumonia cleared and no pain medication i take seems to help them to go away.

My family physician and local nephrologist  have both said it is the colder weather coupled with the fact that I was a skateboarder for 10 years and may have an arthritic problems underlining, and that it will pass but it is getting harder to get things done. Is there anything else that it could be or am I really at the age were a 29 degree day will effect me so bad?

This may not even be in the right forum but I find it hard to accept that it is the weather, please any information you can offer would be great.
  • Joints (1 replies):
    For the last few years, I've had pain in all my joints.....[more]
  • numb tongue (1 replies):
    I woke up this morning with a numb tongue, I don't know ...[more]
  • MS-related? (1 replies):
    Can Multiple Sclerosis cause bulging discs?
  • burning sensation - upper torso (1 replies):
    I feel as though my skin has been sunburned. I had a ra...[more]
  • Eyes (1 replies):
    for past year I've been having difficulty focusing my si...[more]
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Why did you have a kidney transplant? Without further information, you may have a neuropathic problem (such as diabetic neuropathy) or musculoskeletal (which I will talk about more).

Given your age, you may need to be evaluated for a condition called juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. However, the differential for joint pain is large. It also includes metabolic/endocrine (e.g., thyroid and parathyroid disorders), pain syndromes (e.g., fibromyalgia), infection (e.g., lyme and viral illnesses), and connective tissue disorders (e.g., Sjogrens and Lupus).

Does the pain improve at a certain point of the day (e.g., upon awakening or later in the day)? Do you have a rash or other findings?

I recommend that you follow up with a primary care physician and perhaps a rheumatologist. You may need to have lab work including an ESR/CRP (to evaluate inflammation), ANA (to evaluate for connective tissue disorders), and metabolic workup. Also, an x-ray of an affected joint may be of use.

The treatment options will need to be discussed with your nephrologist since many of the medications used to treat these types of pains can be nephrotoxic.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.