Neurology Expert Forum
Pain in arms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain in arms

I am a 46 year old female in good health.  I thought I had torn a rotator cuff in my left (non dominant) arm and, because I did not seek medical attention, was on my way to adhesive capsulitis.  The pain gradually increased, range of motion decreased.  Then the pain began in my right arm, only without loss of motion.  The pain is severe - brings me, literally, to my knees at times, not sleeping well, very painful just to get dressed in the morning.  While the pain is worse in my left arm, it is also very painful to use my right arm as well.  I thought I had torn a rotator cuff while I attempted to cut down a tree with an axe (I still think I'm 25).  Can adhesive capsulitis present bilaterally?  My primary care physician is stumped and has referred me to an orthopedic specialist.  What questions should I be asking?  What tests should I talk to her about?  Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.
Adhesive capsulitis or more commonly "frozen shoulder", can follow rotator cuff tendinitis or bursitis of the shoulder. Traditionally, it can be diagnosed with an arthrogram with injection of dye. But new diagnostic imaging studies such as MRI of the shoulder are being used more frequently, especially to see if there is something else going on with the shoulder. You can have adhesive capsulitis in both arms, and there have been reports of this in association with hypothyroidism in the medical literature.  Finally, if it does turn out to be frozen shoulder, there have been reports of improvement with steroid injections, nerve blocks, and light physical therapy. Good luck.
I read your letter about the pain in your arms. I am a 46 yr old female going through what you are. I injured my should neck and shoulder (left side) 1 1/2 yrs ago. I had some neck pain, but pain down both arms into my fingers along with shoulder pain. After months of PT, chiropractic, traction, etc., the orthopedic surgeon stepped in and felt necessary to do neck surgery (5-15-02). I still had left arm pain and had shoulder surgery for  a hidded rotator cuff tear and also to remove part of my clavicle. I now have Adhesive Capsulitus which began the week after shoulder surgery. I have been going to the PT for 6 weeks in hopes to break it free and to get more mobility. My orthopedic surgeon discussed a procedure that will take place on Dec. 2 to rotate and manipulate my shoulder while under an anisthetic. I should regain most of the mobilitly back into my arm. Adhesive Capsulitus is very painfull and upsetting when trying to do daily tasks. I suggest that you see and Orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible. You will be glad that you did.
Sincerely,
Cyndi
i am a 31yr old male who began to feel pain in my left tricep area about amonth ago. i woke up one morning with sever pain in this area to the point of going to the hospital. they told me i probably tore a muscle and sent me home. since then the pain has increased and moved to my right arm aswell. ive been to the doctors and the hospital a few times and nothing is working. both my triceps and my left shoulder are always in pain. as well i have numbness in both triceps and my left forearm. my hands go numb as well. i am starting to go to phisio this week and hopefully that works. the pain is so bad that i cant sleep through the night. the anti inflamitories and muscle relaxants prescribed dont do a whole lot. it is relieving in a way to hear that i am not hte only one who sufers from this as i have read the stories posted on this site. if anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know. thanks
i have the same symptoms as detailed in the previous letters ive read. has anyone been diagnosed or has the pain subsided. if so what was done to help out? anysugestions or comments would be appreciated.
A related discussion, why do my arms hurt at night was started.