Neurology Community
Pain in back right side of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain in back right side of head

Hello, I have been having shooting pain in the back right side of my head. What's unique about this pain is that it is not constant, it shoots through very sharply and then calms down. However, it keeps re-occurring.  This has been happening since Jan. 31 and I have made a few visits to ER because it really scares me. When this pain happens, it feels so severe like it can do unrepairable damage.  I have had two CT scans, one with dye and one without, which revealed no masses, tumors or any other major concerns. I also had a lumbar puncture test, which was also negative. Thus far, I have not had a MRI because the radiologist assured my doctor that a CT scan with dye would show just about anything. I do have an appt. with primary care physician so I can obtain a referral to go to a neurologist. But I'm just trying to see if you may have any idea what this could be.  I should also mention that initially I thought this could be related to sinus, however CT scan showed no sinus, which is odd because I have all the symptoms of sinus and have been given sinus medications by other doctors for years.  So now I'm thinking allergies, is it possible that all these years I thought I had sinus, maybe it was allergies. I have a great cat that I love, but now I'm wondering could he be the source. I just can't imagine that allergies could cause such pain. I'm just trying to rule things out, so I can find out what is causing this terrible shooting pain in my head.  Any ideas?
Hello.

Can you describe how the headache started? Did you injure your neck anytime before this started?

The neck muscles have some nerves which if stretched can give rise to the symptoms that you are having. These are called occipital headaches. They may be on either side. The headaches start with the back of the head then travel to the upper part and may also go up to the eyes.

Regards

I was washing dishes, with my head in a downward position, that when I first felt this terrible pain, which only lasted a few seconds, but a few minutes later it returned again, that was on Jan. 31.  Since that time it has been re-occurring more frequently.  When I wake up in the mornings it feels like a great deal of pressure on the back right side of my head and occassionally I have a tingling sensation as well.  I have not had a neck injury of any kind. The ER docs have given me pain medication as well as a muscle relaxer because the muscle at the base of my head felt enlarged during his exam but the meds seem to make me sleepy and maybe help me to relax some because I am so afraid of the pain that I find myself tensed even when its not there because I'm scared of it. I just really want to find the source of the problem and address it as opposed to taking pain meds and muscle relaxer, which in my opinion just mask the real problem but I'm no expert, just trying to get better.
When i lay on the bed on my stomach and i bend my head backwards i feel this shooting pain go up only to the right side of my head,its also pain full  when i put pressure on my right footwhen i stand up,i have been in the berth (sleeping area of a tractor trailer)training for i week now,the pain started 3 days after starting training'''''''''''''please can u tell me what it can be causing this'''
I have a very similar  thing as you described- the occipital headaches.  I don't have any known neck injury, but I have had some chronic neck soreness for the last few months.  the headaches were really bad for a while but then got a little better.  Is this something that could be fixed by a chiropractor?
i have a pricking pain right side of my head just below the hair line
I just started having a sharp intensive pain in the back right side of my head Saturday evening.  It feels like someone is trying to drive a nail thru my skull.  It only last a second or two at the time.  Ive had this since Saturday 8/10.  Nothing I have taken even touches it.  It's worse when I'm active.  If I'm just sitting not moving it doesn't happen as often, I can go up to 30 min without an episode.  But if I'm doing something it's constant every two or three minutes of excruciating pain.  I have had no neck or head injuries.  I too am worried, would love to find some answers.  Calling the Dr today.  Would love to hear if someone has any info on this.