Neurology Community
Pain in chest, left arm, both legs, pain and numbness in back

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been experience constant pain for six months. It started with heart palpitations. After three days in the hospital with an echo, EKGs, and heart enzyme studies, it was determined that the issue is not related to my heart. The palpitations eventually subsided but that pain that presented with them has not. In fact, it's gotten much worse. Sometimes it's all of the way down my arm into my finger tips. It feels like it's in my muscle. It's sharp in the front upper left side of my chest. Sometimes it's a dull pain when I breathe deeply. Other times its excruciating when I breathe at all. It is also in the left side of my neck and left jaw. The left side of my back is sore. There's a persistent numbness in the middle of my back. The pain is often in my left leg, and sometimes my right. My legs, feet, and face get hot flashes. Sometimes it feels like there's something warm and fuzzy in the back of my head, and I have muscle spasms everywhere. Mostly my legs, noses, eyes, and temples.

History - 28 year old male with a history of GERD.

Please help if you can.
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. You have undergone a detailed cardiac evaluation, excluding angina and heart attacks. There is no typical cardiogenic chest pain, which is crushing precordial pain radiating to the jaw, arm and neck, relieved with sublingual nitrates. other possibilities for the muscle spasms can be chest injuries, previous chest surgery, possible culprit, any history of athletics, stress fractures , pulled chest muscles. Fibromyalgia is an important condition of chronic fatigue which causes severe muscle pain, with muscle spasms in chest. Costochondritis, can have a sharp chest wall pain worsened by movement, direct pressure on that area. Costochondritis can be a part of certain diseases like fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis,ankylosing spondylitis etc. Importantly, anxiety and panic attacks, depression are frequently associated with chest pain, dull or sharp both, accompanied by shortness of breath, worsened by emotional stress and not relieved by nitroglycerin. so it’s a diagnosis of exclusion. I strongly suggest that you check up with an orthopaedician first and rule out the musculoskeletal causes, following which a visit to the psychiatrist’s office is warranted.
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your response. I did forget to mention that I am extremely fatigued as well. I am planning to schedule an appointment with an orthopaedician as well. However, I do not believe the pain is psychosomatic, as I can touch the sore areas, right now my jaw, and feel the tenderness.