Neurology Expert Forum
Pain in left leg/hip with numbness for over 9 months

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello. My name is Chelsea and I am a 26 year old female. Since the mid to end of December 2009 I have had pain in my left leg and hip, with a change in sensation throughout the leg. I have had 9 doctors, 11 mri's, 2 injections into the left bursa, a caudel, 1 1/2 months of physical therapy, acupuncture with electric shock therapy, nerve conduction test, several x-rays, a bone scan, and blood work. All of these test have come back negative until yesterday 08/12/10 when I received the latest results of the newest mri's. I was advised they found a focal tear within the superior labrum and a small synovial herniation pit along my femoral neck. They also found a very mild case of bursitis. I have seen pain management doctors, and no amount of medication seems to help the pain go away. I have also seen a neurologist and 3 ortho surgeons. No one seems to be able to diagnose me and help me. Is there anyone out there that can help me fix my leg and get my life back?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. It is difficult to give you much more information than what you have already received. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Pain in the leg can be a radiculoapthy which is compression of the nerve by a herniated disc or as it leaves the vertebra (bones of the back) secondary to arthritis, for example. The symptoms of this are shooting pain in a specific region of the leg/buttock that corresponds to the area that the nerve supplies. These types of pains are usually diagnosed with clinical examination, MRI, and EMG. Another type of pain in the lateral aspect of the leg is a condition called meralgia paresthetica. The symptoms of this condition are tingling, numbness and burning pain in the outer/lateral part of the thigh. It is caused by compression of the nerve that supplies sensation to the lateral part of the thigh. It has many causes including obesity, pregnancy, wearing tight clothing, trauma, diabetes, and surgery. It is usually diagnosed by a nerve conduction study (NCS). Treatment options are variable but usually include neuropathic medications such as gabapentin or pregabalin.

I recommend that you follow up with an orthopedic surgeon based on your new MRI results. It is hard to say if it is the cause of your pain, but it is worth looking into.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.