Pain like an electric shock on right side of head radiating down spine
My son, aged 19, healthy, suffered four electric shocks in his head for the first time ever yesterday. The first one almost caused his collapse.  Duration about 4 seconds each.  Radiating down back of head to spine.  He was working (at a hospital), not stressed, had eaten and had fluids, he is not on any medication and does not take drugs. Co-workers thought he may have suffered a stroke and tested him but he passed test, although BP was 160/90.   Afterwards was very tired and had a bad headache.  Doctor diagnosed "tension headache".

He has had two prior different episodes - one of almost passing out combined with chest pain, shortness of breath and vomiting;  and the second actually passing out twice combined with chest pain, thready pulse, sensitive to light, cold extremities, dilated pupils, followed by bad headache.  The dilated pupils, bad headache and tiredness lasting 4 days after each episode.  Cardiologist diagnosed "vasovagal syncope" - involuntary reflex to feint.

Any ideas what could cause the "electric shocks" to right hand side of head.  

Could the two different incidents be related?

Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Most likely, your symptoms may be due to Cervical spondylosis or due to nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of injury/prolapse where contact between the edges of the vertebrae can cause neck pain. In few people, this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head (as electric sensation)- LHERMITTES SIGN, shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) and palpitation that you felt. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe Pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar/stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.