Neurology Community
Pain on forehead

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain on forehead

I'm a 35 year old male 6"2" 220lbs in normal good health except for Asthma. For the last month I am experiencing pain on my forehead. It feels similar to the feeling of a sliver on your finger when you touch it and it is pushed deeper. It is on my left temple of my forehead. The pain is constant and does not subside anymore. I am on day 4 of non stop pain even with pain killers. pain if forehead is touched is about a 7 on a scale of 1-10. I also am experiencing twitching like its a vein on my forehead if I do something physically straining. even the lightest touch to the forehead causes extreme pain. The area of pain is approximately 2" in circumference. This morning I am now experiencing a stiff neck to go with it. The forehead pain feels better for a moment if I put pressure on it. It appears to me to be a vein that the pain is coming from however no visually noticeable vein on my forehead. The exact area of pain is where my hair has receded in the widows peak area.
Your help is appreciated.
I have been experiencing pain exactly like you ,on my forehead, temples and scalp for 10 years now, following a Rhinoplasty (Nose), operation in August 1997. I wonder if you had any kind of Head Trauma or facial surgery which initiated this pain I still suffer swelling above the eyes and the pain in my forehead has been intractable to medication or indeed to ice packs. Exactly like you the pain in my forehead feels better momentarily if I put pressure on it but it instantly returns within seconds. When I try to exercise the pain in my forehead immediately becomes severe and I have to immediately stop. However once I stop the increased pain remains severe and it will not subside until after a nights sleep, and it immediately returns the next day once I am up and about. I have tried every medication for years and this pain has unfortunately remained intractable. Indeed it has progressively gotten worse over the years to the point where now it is absolutely intolerable and I can't stand it any longer. The pain is that severe that it stings the life out of my scalp to the point where my hair is now lifeless and falling out with sustained soreness and paresthesia of the scalp.
                               You state the pain temporarily alleviates when you put pressure on it and this is also true for me. However the pain in my forehead and temples has gone deeper and deeper, causing the soreness to travel right along the sides of my temples to the back top of my head. And it has remained like this for the past 4 years. There is now burning stabbing pain at the back of my head and I Find that I can momentarily ease this by rubbing/pressing my forehead/temple for a few seconds. Therefore the source of the pain at the back of my head seems to stem from the forehead. Is this also true for you?
                               Over the years, I have learned that when the pain gets absolutely unbearable, you just have to sit it out.  Even when resting, I am now experiencing absolutely severe headaches.