Neurology Expert Forum
Pain on right side - head to toe

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain on right side - head to toe

I've been having problems with illness and pain on the right side of my body for many years now. The pain started with a sharp pain deep in my stomach/groin area. I visited my GP who was unable to find any problem and was told that it would just 'getter better over time'. I experienced many months of severe pain eminating from the groin area but also in various other parts of my body from head to toe all on the right side. During this time I felt extremely unwell with feelings of nausea and fatigue. Nothing was ever diagnosed. Over the next few years I recovered and following on from that I have had occasional 'flare ups' of symptoms sometimes only lasting a short time other times longer. Symptoms vary each time a flare up occurs but the constant when they did was the pain in the groin area.

Back in October the symptoms occurred again and after being referred to a gastroenterologist, urologist and hernia specialist, Ingroinal Hernias on both my Right and Left sides were diagnosed.

The repair surgery was carried out in April but the groin and other symptoms over the rest of my body have returned including headaches, ear pain, pain around my eye, down my arm and leg and in my groin area - all only on my right side. I've even had sore throats confined to the one side. As one side only was affected I was referred to a Neurologist and had a MRI of brain/neck which was normal.

It's like the sensations I feel on one side of my body are different to the other and the pain does feel nerve like. Can anyone suggest a diagnosis or what other scans/tests I should be requesting?
The story you describe sounds very complex and I have very small amount of the actual data collected available to me.  Please keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you since I am unable to examine you, this forum is for education purposes only. The symptoms you describe do not match any classical neurolgic syndrome.  However, occasionally odd things do turn up that are unexpected.  One such example is thalamic pain syndromes (for example that occurs after hypertensive stroke) that can result in a poorly localizeable pain syndrome on one side of the body.  With the story you describe I would suggest a visit to a master clinician neurolgoist.  When typical signs and symptoms do not seem to match up, a senior neurologist with 30+ years of experience can be of great value. Based on your story I would repeat your MRI with GAD contrast if it was not done previously.  I hope this has been helpfull.
Thank you so much for your comment. Could you please explain in more detail what an MRI with GAD contrast(as opposed to without) might show? Am I right in thinking that you are injected with something prior to the the scan which therefore allows different aspects to show up? Could this for instance show that I had suffered a stroke or damage to the thalamus which is causing the pain? Also are there any other tests such as those that measure electrical brain activity which could pinpoint a cause of the pain? My private medical insurance cover is likely to soon cease so I am keen to get any tests done that could pinpoint the problem. Many thanks again.
blidge-- i know this may sound oversimplified-- but does the pain get worse with stretching your groin area (which seems to be the worst and the center of your problem)???  If so, your problems may be myofascial, ie a muscle imbalance-- especially considering how your tests keep coming up normal. there are many muscles in the groin area which can become shortened/tight or elongated due to postural problems like prolonged and repeated patterns of sitting-- especially in front of a computer.
MIKE1105, thanks for your comment but no the pain does not seem to get any worse with stretching the groin area. The groin pain is less prominent since the Hernia op which was undoubtedly the cause of some of the pain and discomfort in that region.

The pain is present over the whole of the right side of my body from the top of my head to my toes and can vary in severity, sensation and location. The pain and discomfort in my right arm for instance often feels similar to the pain you might experience after hitting your funny bone.

Everything on the right side of my body feels different to the left. For instance if I rub my thumb and forefinger together on both of my hands the sensation I experience/feel on the right is different to the left - possibly more sensitive.

As I say I am keen to get any tests done asap to help in diagnosing the problem so would like to know how a MRI with GAD contrast would differ to a regular MRI? I'm guessing now but would this show any problems with blood flow through areas of the brain?

I'd be grateful for any other suggestions of other tests I could discuss with my neurologist.

Thanks again.
A related discussion, pain in right side of the body from head to toe was started.
A related discussion, j have pain one side from head to toe was started.
A related discussion, pain was started.
A related discussion, pain in my right side was started.
A related discussion, pain in right side of body was started.