Neurology Expert Forum
Pain radiating down arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pain radiating down arm
I have been suffering from pain that starts right in the shoulder area and then radiates down the middle of the front side of the right arm.  It doesn't hurt all the time, but does seem to be triggered.  It is happening more often now than a week ago.  The pain starts like hot burning sensation in the shoulder, and when it radiates down my arm, it feels like the worst muscle contraction that one could imagine.  Then it to travels up and down between my shoulder and elbow.

My husband says it could be a pinched nerve.  He says that I started complaining the day I did side plank and lifted my right arm straight up and gazing to the hand.  Could that have done it?  For now, I want relief from this pain and be free to enjoy my active life style.  
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

The description you provide makes it difficult to localize without the ability to do a formal examination. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Pain in the shoulder joint worse with movement may be inflammation of the tendon or joint. The treatment is conservative initially which includes NSAIDs and physical therapy. However, if you have any neurological findings such as weakness, numbness, changed reflexes, etc, you may have a nerve injury. The best way to determine this is a formal evaluation by a neurologist. Nerve injury is initially treated with NSAIDs but if they fail, you may need medications such as gabapentin or pregabalin which are medicines used routinely for neuropathic pain. Additionally, an MRI of your neck may be needed to further evaluate

You should seek medical attention including a complete physical examination. You may need a referral to a neurologist if anything is abnormal or concerning.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

A related discussion, LEFT SHOULDER ARM PAIN was started.