Neurology Community
Pain when bending middleand ring fingers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I thought perhaps I'm experiencing the so-called "Grocery Bag Syndrome", but while the affected area are the same fingers, rather than the numbness GBS sufferers usually report, I have pain.  The pain is only when I try to fully bend my middle right finger and, to a lesser extent, the right ring finger. The pain seems to be worst between the middle and top joints when attempting a full bend of those fingers.

Duration: about a month now. What can I do for it? I’ve tried soaking the right hand in Epsom salts a couple times and while that feels good during the soak, it seems to be a short-term help and I can't tell there's been much improvement really.

I’ve wondered if this could be due to something else – arthritis? But why would it be just on those particular joints? I’m 42, btw.
Tags: finger pain stiff
Avatar dr f tn
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum. There could be different reasons for this difficulty in bending your fingers. It could be local trauma, injury or inflammation of flexor tendons of middle and ring fingers, sports injury while playing base ball, carpal tunnel syndrome and compressed median nerve. You need immediate medical attention and ruling out these conditions along with systemic causes like rheumatoid arthritis and cervical radiculopathy. Management would be according to the diagnosis. Wishing you all the best.
Avatar dr f tn
Thank you, Dr. Sharma.  I'll let you know what I find out.