Neurology Community
Painful MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Painful MRI

Why would I get high intensity pain in the area being scanned during an MRI? I have had two (2) MRIs in my lifetime, on two (2) different machines and imaging two (2) different area. The first scan covered the lumbar area of my back. After thirty minutes, there was a very high resonating pain in the area and I started to moan and they stopped. I had difficulty getting up off the table, but by the time I got dressed and walked to my car, the pain stayed disappeared. The second MRI was checking the miniscus tendons in my left knee. Once again, very high resonating pain in my knee until I started to moan and they stopped. Pain did not last too long after the session. All data I have found idicates that MRI sessions are "Painless". Thanks
Tags: MRI, Knee, Back, Pain
Hi there!

Well, very rarely the radiowaves used in MRI may causes increased sensitivity in a few individuals and this associated with increased blood flow to the region nay be responsible for the discomfort. Adjusting the intensity of the microwaves may help alleviate the symptoms.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!
This should be reported to the FDA from the form on their website, along with the date and place. Feedback helps them to monitor use of medical devices. This is a very rare occurance, and I suspect the machine is out of adjustment.
Thanks for your response and I do not consider a hot searing pain that grows in intensity a discomfort. In addition, I must add that your are the ONLY person of many I have asked, that even admitted to the possibility of "discomfort" during a MRI session. Reminds me of the goverment and th catholic church.
Thanks for your comments. I have severed connection with the medical organization that sent me to the two (2) separate machine locations and the time frame crosses a few years. I will add that even the operators tried to shield the fact that I had experienced intense pain.
Just had a brain scan via MRI.  I have a scalp condition - probably lupus.  The pain started at the site of recent biopsies and started to spread across the top of my head towards my eyes - then I pushed the emergency button to stop the MRI.  It felt like needles poking far into my head. When they pulled me out of the MRI machine and took off all of the gear, my head was shaking uncontrollably.  Have you ever heard of that?