Neurology Community
Painful arm nerves

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Painful arm nerves

About six months ago, I had moderate pain running down my under arms to my elbows along the nerve.  Everytime I would stretch my arm the nerve would hurt.  It first started on one arm, then the other shortly after.  The stinging pain lasted for several months.  After a while, it diminished.  Over the last few weeks it has returned.  It is very uncomfortable. Now it is not only under my arms, it goes down my side and now my right forearm is starting to have the same problem.  Any thoughts?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? Do you have diabetes? The pain sensation can be due to actual injury, tissue damage or noxious stimulation of nerve fibers. Arm pain may be caused by injury or overuse of the arm or components of the arm. In this case, once the problem is treated, the pain will resolve. It can also be the result of referred pain from another part of the body. If pain is caused by an activity, modify or stop the activity. Diabetic neuropathies result from diabetic microvascular injury involving peripheral nerves to the arm or foot.

It would be good to see your doctor if: there is as area of redness on your arm that is painful, the pain is interfering with your day-to-day activities or is different than arm pain you have experienced previously.
I am 46 years old and have a desk job.  No injuries.  Not diabetic, No skin redness, however the skin is sensitive to the touch when the nerves in my arms sting.  It is really weird.  My neck sometimes goes out, but at this time my neck is fine.  What type of doctor should i seek out?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Your information definitely limits the differentials. Can you elaborate more on the neck going out? A neurologist may be helpful with your nerve problems or other disorders concerning the nervous system the nervous system. An EMG and nerve conduction studies of your arms may be done to identify which site and the severity of the nerve involvement. Take care and keep us posted.
I have stinging pain in my forearm when I stretch my left arm and it is a little swollen on the thumb side about 3 inches below my wrist. I did recently do do some weight machine excercising but this started a couple of weeks after. Any ideas what this is?