Neurology Community
Pains in the head,but not a headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pains in the head,but not a headache

I have been havivg these pains in my head, they don't feel like a headache, more like a sharp stabbing pain. When I get them they scare the life out of me. I start to feel confused, and like i am living in a dream. I start to feel shaky and my mind starts to run away. I start thinking that I'm having a stroke or a blood vessel broke, all kinds of crazy thoughts. I take a Xanax 1mg and I slowing stop thinking about it. I am allergic to antidepressants and therapy dosen't seem to work after 2 years. What could be causing these stabbing pains? My head also feels like it is getting red hot. I take my blood pressure and its 128/83. I'm lost and so is my doctor. He keeps saying its anxiety. I am so sick of hearing the word anxiety. Anyone have any answers?
Do you have any problems with your eyes?  Vision get blurry?  Or does this stabbing pain ever take place near your eyes?  If your answer is yes to these questions, go have your eyes checked for Optic Neuralgia.

Also - there is a type of headache called "Cluster Headache" that is described as "ice pick" type pains.  It's not anxiety (except that the pain causes anxiety!!)  Ask your doctor to refer you to a headache specialist (usually a neurologist) who will treat the headache and not just the anxiety!

Don't let doctors minimize the pain in your head by calling it anxiety.  A good doctor will treat the headaches, even if they ARE caused by anxiety.  

God Bless!
Amy